Existing Member?

The Labors of Bucephalus No matter how tedious life at times could become, one look out the window was enough to remind me that not far away, the world-and adventure-were impatiently waiting.-R. Morse

No Love Lost in Damascus

SYRIA | Thursday, 14 February 2008 | Views [3855] | Comments [2]

The tunnel-like streets of Damascus' Old City

The tunnel-like streets of Damascus' Old City

I honestly can not say enough good things about Damascus.  From the very beginning, to the very end, people were helpful, outgoing, and friendly.  Spending the majority of our time in the Old City, we were inevitably lost for what seemed hours in its incredibly labyrinthine and almost cavernous streets.  Very often did we rely on the good graces of the people of Damascus to help us find our way. One group of teenagers we asked for directions from seemed practically enthused by the notion, and quickly uttered every English phrase they knew, "Good Morning!" (it was night) and "Welcome to Syria!"(which we heard a lot).  Even Andrew's attempt at baksheesh(tipping) was refused, as the boy promptly put the money back in my hand.  As helpful as the people were, their instructions inevitably led to the same pattern-take a left, then a right, then a left.  Besides being lost 75% of the time, there was not one negative experience in Damscus.  We saw the splendor of the Umayyad Mosque, smoked a nargileh at An-Nafura cafe, and gazed upon beautiful antiques at Georges Dabdub.  Damascus will be missed.

Tags: Lost!

Comments

1

An interesting perspective from inside the axis of evil, no?

  Matt Apr 4, 2008 11:52 AM

2

I lived there for two years between 1998-2000. And most of the time, we lived in the old City. I had my bike--running up and down those streets. The nights are filled with love, passions and so much warmth. Damascus and especially old city is a warm and friendly place. We had a third-floor balcony in old city (it was a semi-balcony); the view looking down at nights and during the day--all I had was good memories from that place. Damuscus and old city, you walk and live there, you will feell and think you have lived since ages, those walls and the streets and the markets remind you how old life has been with awe and wonder and a endless sweet joy in the self. I miss that place.

  Ezou Feb 19, 2013 6:37 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Syria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.