Existing Member?

New Zealanding

DAY 86. Accomplishing Items on the Bucketlist

NEW ZEALAND | Friday, 20 January 2017 | Views [339]

While we had breakfast, we booked our tickets for the luge ride and our time slot to Skydive in Wanaka. We walked a short ways from our camp and got in the long line to go up the gondola. The view of Queenstown from high up on the mountain was incredible on this sunny day we've been waiting for. There were also many mountain bikers going up the gondola and a number of parasailers were flying off the mountain to the town below. It was a busy day on the luge rides and we purchased five runs but our skydive booking was at 3:00pm an hour away so we hurried to go up the lift and get in as many runs as we could. We took the beginner course down since we had to our first time then did two more advanced runs and called it good. We thought that the Rotorua tracks were longer, better, and you could get more speed. I made sure to get plenty of pictures of the awesome view before we got on the gondola and headed back down.

We power walked back to the camp kitchen, got the chicken wrap fixings and headed towards Wanaka. We weren't exactly running behind but we still drove quickly towards the Wanaka airport. We got there and checked in on their fancy iPads. Cassela and I were thrown off because we were told we couldn't use our own GoPros for the jump and had to buy pictures or video for $170NZ of their footage. We mulled over that idea and I eventually caved and bought the video package on top of the skydive price...it was an expensive day. We watched the first group gear up and go in the plane and we were left waiting for an hour and a half until it was our turn. We were all uneasy then finally, they called our names.

We went to the main part of the hanger/building and got suited up in the outfit and a harness. I was feeling down before this but all the sudden I was amped. I didn't think too much about what was about to go down and just knew it was going to be epic. We put on shoes, got a helmet/hat with goggles and met our skydive guide. Mine was older but cool, his name was Robbie and we chatted for a minute then he interviewed me with a GoPro for my video. We waited around for a bit and the girls and I got excited. It was still gorgeous weather and we loaded up in the small plane. We all piled in, in each other's laps. Cassela was behind Robbie and I while Michealla was near the back of the plane with her guide, so she would be one of the first people to go out.

The plane zoomed up into the sky and we had a great view of the mountains, lakes, and the surrounding areas. It was loud inside the plane but Robbie and I talked along the way and then everyone starting strapping into their guide's harness. I opted out of using the gloves but Robbie secured my hat and goggles. We quickly went over what I should do while we were in free fall, to hold onto the harness until he said not to, to keep my head back towards him, and to keep my feet up and back behind me. We had obviously reached 12,000 feet because I watched as Michealla and her tandem buddy leaped out of the plane. I was filled was so many emotions as all this happened so fast, fear, excitement, and adrenaline, more than I have ever experienced. Then before I knew it, Robbie and I were scooting ourselves down towards the opening of the plane. There was a lot of noise and moving around and before there was a chance for any last words or any looks around the plane or anything, we were OUT of the plane. Out of this perfectly good aircraft and falling so incredibly fast towards the ground. There was nothing that could have prepared me for this part, the part when we fell out of the plane and into the open sky.

The air and wind was harsh. The free fall was frightening but exhilarating. Again, nothing at all could have prepared me for this. I was smiling but my mouth was dry from the intense wind and I didn't know what to do, whether to look around, look at the GoPro on Robbie's wrist or close my eyes. It all happened so fast. Robbie tapped my hand that signaled me to let go of my harness and put my arms out to enjoy the fall. This was an incredible rush and it felt shorter than the proposed 45 seconds but it also felt longer. All of this is so hard to explain, you would really have to skydive to understand my descriptions and feelings. I think I was screaming this whole time but I'm not really sure. I was mortified but adrenaline took over and so I was also smiling the whole time too. I had no concept of time but was getting used to the free falling when Robbie pulled our parachute out. It jerked us up but not as bad as I imagined it would.

It got quiet and the falling slowed. I was mildly freaking out with happiness and exhilaration. Robbie made the parachute swoop us around through the air and we were still so far off the ground. Looking down past my feet at the earth was scary but awesome. I finally got a chance to get a good look at the view of the mountains, lakes, and rivers beneath and around us. The big swooping turns Robbie made had me screaming a little bit, flying through the air like that was something else. I looked around some more and then we got close to the landing area at the airport. Robbie told me to lift up my knees and then to stand up when he said to. We were nearing the ground and I brought my knees up and we barely skimmed the ground. He said to stand up and we both stood upright on the ground, just like that. I had the biggest high I've ever felt and it was hard to even fathom what just happened. Michealla already landed and I was able to watch Cassela land. We were all excited and freaking out as we walked back into the hangar.

We took our gear off and compared stories. Cassela's guide showed her the pictures he took during the jump and she ended up purchasing them. We waited for my video and her pictures to be put on a thumb drive. I viewed my video on a computer and wasn't exactly pleased with it and made the mistake of not asking if it was possible to get a refund. My guide didn't angle the camera very well and some parts of it was footage of the side of his leg. For the price, I was expecting to get something better. Oh well. We left and headed back to Queenstown. We got ready to go out and made it to a few bars but I called it an early night.

 

 

About joyaroundtheworld


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.