Existing Member?

Josh and Shona's Excellent Adventure

What's Left to Say

CANADA | Monday, 9 August 2010 | Views [403]

Our time in Vancouver is up. 456 days enjoying a stunningly beautiful city. Sure, it rained for 450 or so of them, a hotdog stand is considered gormet food, and a wild night out winds down at 11pm, but its been good.

Recently we headed to Savary Island. A tiny, remote gulf island prized for its beautiful sand, and relatively warm waters. Staying in an inviting cabin perched high on top of the sand dunes the breathtaking sweeping views and clean fresh air resulted in lots of sleeping and the occasional beer.

We had another crack at camping and headed east to The Kootenies. You know the Kootenies right? Heading out of Vancouver, you simply have to pass through 3 other mountain ranges before getting there. If you hit the Rockies, you've gone too far. Our timing wasn't the best though, July happened to be the 2nd driest on record, yet the entire province for the 4 days were camp, all 925186 km2 was wet. We learnt things. That's cause we learn from our mistakes and well, we learnt a lot.

We were amazed, if not a little naïve with the amount of snow still covering the ranges, and the still frozen lake perched high in the mountain tops was hopefully a glimpse of what's to come in The Rockies. Hiking through snow in July was also fun.

A little less fun was a hike I did last week. Shona sat this one out, and it was a wise decision. 4 of us took on the 21km challenge of getting to “The Lions”. A pair of extinct volcanic plugs that make up an unmissable part of the North Shore Mountain Range. Its not just a hike, it involves a torturous ascent, then descent of 5, yes 5 peaks to get there. And then back. Unecessary Mountain, which is just before The Lions, with its 3 unavoidable peaks made very true its reputation.

After seeing Bryan Adams perform live, the next biggest must see in Canada for me has been crossed off my list when we saw Cirque Du Soleli. I could try and write about how my spine tingled with amazement, and just how wide-eyed I was sitting in my seat, but my humble ranting wouldn't justify the experience.

We ticked off the the obligatory physical challenges of “The Chief” and “The Grind”. Two mandatory hikes that must be done while residing in Vancouver.

The city has been conquered. We've done it all. Its just the remaining part of the country that has to be seen.

The world's most indirect travelers.

Josh and Shona.

Again, it was glorious from the deck.

Again, it was glorious from the deck.

 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.