Existing Member?

Josh and Shona's Excellent Adventure

A Camping Adventure

CANADA | Saturday, 29 May 2010 | Views [454] | Comments [1]

Over the past weeks we’ve been accumulating camping gear, picking up a tent, sleeping bags, you know, the kind of equipment required to get out and enjoy the great outdoors. With our big summer adventure getting closer and closer we needed to road test our camping abilities and see just what we need to improve on.

Bear spotting was something we excelled at. Having a camera whilst spotting said bears however is something we’ll have to work on.

We headed a few hours drive north of Vancouver, past the ski resort of Whistler Mountain to a very beautiful spot called Birkenhead Lake. Here, where winter had only just retreated, we set up for two glorious days of camping beneath snow capped peaks. Armed with our supplies from the $2 shop we tested ourselves against some chilly evenings.

Of a group of 7, no-one remember to bring marshmallows which was a pretty big oversight. We did a bit of hiking, a spot of fishing, kicked the footy around and most of all just soaked up the atmosphere of an open fire and fresh air. On the second night Shona woke me up and said “I think there’s a bear outside our tent”. I promptly told her she was hearing things and to go back to sleep. Even if there was a bear, all I was going to do was soil my new sleeping bag.

But it was the canoeing experience that was the greatest event of all. Shona and Johanna, canoed out onto the lake, with the occasional spot of sunshine making it all a very pleasant activity. I didn’t partake in the event. I stay well clear of bodies of water that are filled by snow melt. A few of us spotted them out in the distance, when we wondered if maybe they weren’t going so well. They weren’t. They’d capsized. It was difficult to tell what was going on from the shore, but something didn’t look right.

Putting down my beer, I took off up the trail beside the lake. Hurdling over twisted tree roots and fallen trunks I raced up the rugged trail which we’d all taken at a much more leisurely pace only hours prior. Before long I spotted them making their way back to the shore, their life jackets without doubt saving them from a far worse scenario.

So here I am on the edge of lake, like a cat looking over the water. I think I got in about as deep as my ankles in my rescue efforts, doing absolutely nothing but trying my best to help. The park grounds staff offered a hot shower and a warm shelter for the girls whilst a few of the boys along with another parks ground staff, who we knew, and was the reason we went to Birkenhead Lake in the first place took to the water to retrieve the partially submerged canoe.

The girls were fine. A bit shaken, and slow to warm up, but they recovered. The trip only fueled our anticipation for more camping in the summer plus the excitement of seeing our first wild bears was inspiring. My soft cottons hands have a few scratches and bruises, and our camera didn’t survive the swim in the lake, but I think this summer is going to be awesome.

The world’s most indirect travelers – Josh and Shona.

The very LAST photo taken by our camera. RIP TZ3.

The very LAST photo taken by our camera. RIP TZ3.

Comments

1

THATS NOT AN AXE!!!!. U wouldn't cut down a red wood with that.The bears will still be sleeping.(waiting for more tourists.)
Elaine - You found out like me that cameras don't like water!!! So glad you are fine after your mishap and good to hear Josh you ran to my dughters aid. Thank-you

  John May 31, 2010 8:47 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.