Existing Member?

Josh and Shona's Excellent Adventure

Halloween Horrors

CANADA | Monday, 9 November 2009 | Views [594]

I've been tested before. I've run with the bulls in Pamplona, conquered New Zealand's biggest bungee jump and killed a couple of spiders at Shona's request. But after “Fright Nite” at the Pacific National Exhibition I've unequivocally maintained my “reasonably masculine” rating. If the last time you've been through a haunted house was at some local festival or back in the 90's then you need to see what level haunted houses have been taken to. I could try to explain some of the scenarios but basically Shona screamed a lot and both me and my mate Daniel squealed like school girls at the occasional scary surprise. But highly skilled actors, elaborate buildings and state of the art robotics created some very daunting situations with Freddy and Jason, Hannibal Lecter and other screaming, startling characters bursting out of dark corners.

Halloween. Its so trashy. Its like Santa Clause and The Easter Bunny rolled into one. Why is it celebrated? I don't know, I don't care either. People just dress up and do funny stuff all for no real reason. And how I do love fancy dress.

But costumes aside, the single greatest experience of the fall season so far has been making Jack O Lanterns. Oh what fun they are. Encouragingly easy and very rewarding we turned the simple task of carving a pumpkin into a exercise of wine drinking and socialising with the inaugural “Pumpkin Carving Party”. I could go on, but I don't think I need to explain the occasion any further do I?

With said carved pumpkins sitting outside our front door and armed with a large bag of individually wrapped ghoul shaped marshmallows we failed to receive any trick or treaters. But then again I wouldn't take my kid down our street anyway, so we weren't too disappointed. Besides I was far too busy applying fake blood and flesh wounds to myself for my zombie costume. Shona meanwhile was far more sensible, as usual, dressing up as Annie Wilks, the psychotic lead character from the movie Misery.

There were many great costumes on display that night. Superheroes and super villians, cartoon characters and undead creatures, but the funniest costume all night was a guy in a chicken suit. Not because of the chicken suit, but because he had a beer in hand, was drunk, angry and fell over the gutter as he walked past me. Very amusing. Costumes were typically far more creative than just vampires or zombies, some real creative processes went into outfits we saw.

But now there are less than 6 weeks till Christmas. Snow is falling at lower and lower altitudes on the mountains, days are shorter and there's even talk of snowfall in Vancouver next weekend. For me its as exciting watching the leaves change colour – (which was exciting for me.)

And finally, the beauty of living in a different country is learning a new perspective of an idea or topic. I can happily say that I know have a greater appreciation for The Simpson's Tree House of Horror series. It just makes more sense now.

The world's most indirect travellors Josh and Shona.

Annie Wilks and Zombie Josh.

Annie Wilks and Zombie Josh.

 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.