Existing Member?

Josh and Shona's Excellent Adventure

San Francisco

USA | Monday, 18 May 2009 | Views [298]

Some say that San Francisco is a place where idealist concepts are embraced and free thinking liberalism is personified, that it’s a place of freedom and democracy, but for me the left winged, free spirited city of San Francisco left an impression of normalism on me. A city that has style. A city with an identity. A city of beauty.

And hills. My gosh does it have some hills. Calf straining, vertigo inducing hills. It also has Segways! Endless rows of gorgeous Victorian era houses each with their own huge bay window and dramatic colour design whistled by as Shona and I enjoyed the transportation of a Segway.

There was the mandatory bicycle ride across the Golden Gate bridge and a tour of Alcatraz, thrown in with a few delicious meals at the infinite number  of quality restaurants throughout the city. But the biggest impression left from the city was its unique architecture and brilliant city vibe. Throw in a random street festival just to really indulge the loony costume wearing free spirits that inhabit the place and we’ve had an experience that has beautifully defined the city and shown us just how cool America can be, when it tries.

Currently we’re in Seattle, enjoying the notoriously wet North West Pacific area. The Canadian border is only a few hours away and the end of the American experience will soon be over for now. But not yet. A double mocha frappe grungeichinno and trip to the Space Needle awaits.

Joshua and Shona.
Shona cycling over the Golden Gate bridge.

Shona cycling over the Golden Gate bridge.

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.