Existing Member?

Josh and Shona's Excellent Adventure

Too much fun.

USA | Saturday, 9 May 2009 | Views [389] | Comments [1]

Well there's been a bit happening lately so this will be one very brief entry.

Firstly, The Grand Canyon. A great big hole in the ground, stunning, unbelievable and done in style with a morning helicopter ride followed by a walk along part of the southern rim. Can't image a better way of seeing it. (On the way home we just stopped in at a tribute to The Flinstones - so tacky it had to be done)

Sedona. A small town in "Red Rock County". Incredibly coloured rocks with a town clinging desperately to the side of some stunning cliffs.

Monument Valley. Well we put on our best boots, saddled up the horses and headed the wagon east. Had a personal tour with a native american which was truly special. Got a first hand account of the local indian population living in the area and appreciated the mesmorising beauty of the land. Monument Valley, The Grand Canyon and Sedona were each wonderful and not to be forgotten. Good times.

What next. Oh yes. Popped back into California (via Route 66 of course) and hit another National Park. Joshua Tree National Park. Now to put this in perspective we've been to Yosemite National Park - a living breathing display of mother nature's grandure, we've been to Sequoia National Park - where we were swallowed whole and spat out again by natural beauty and Death Valley - an architectural natural wonder - but these are all second fiddle (for me) to Joshua Tree National Park.

Joshua Trees are inspiration in physical form. Muddled, twisted fantastical creations that can't be grapsed in words. They truly belong in Joshua Tree National Park for it is a landscape of impossibility.

This is when we left for the famous Californian Central Coast. A drive were you plunged through perfect fog, wound through forests and clinged desperately to road hovering above a relentless ocean. Scenes changed in a blink of an eye. Fog seemed to be placed meticulously by a great artist vanished around a mountain only to reappear without warning created an illusion that I had just reached everest's summit. The crystal blue sky could halt my driving just so I could stop to appreciate it all a little more. But watch out. That fog just rolled in and I can't see anything. (Apart from a whole heap of seals, huh, where did they come from?)

We're in San Francisco now. Best I write the next chapter.

Got our kicks - better than the freeway.

Got our kicks - better than the freeway.

 

Comments

1

Hi Shona and Josh
It is just great reading all about your adventures so far in the US of A - and I love all the photos. Those Joshua Joshua Trees are amazing! It all brings back memories of my trip to San Fran in 1985 when I went to visit Maree & Paul who were living there at the time. We went on a camping trip around pretty much the same places as you have been - bit different for us though, we were travelling with the children, Amanda was 3 and Catherine probably about 1-2 months old! It was an quite an experience but a lot of fun too. Looks like you are having some amazing weather too, apart from the Californian fog of course.
All is good here, bit cold though with a good frost yesterday morning. Lovely sunny days though.
Look forward to hearing about the next adventure.
Love from Odette and Michael xx

  Odette May 13, 2009 5:47 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.