Existing Member?

Where's Jonny? Care to dine with me? You would think that 11 years of daily food tasting for a living might put me off?......au contraire! Chomp away with me across 6 continents. Seduced like a bloodhound to the scent of good food, I anticipate the misty waft of steaming broths, the satisfying crunch of mudbugs and the vibrant aroma of freshly pulverised lemongrass. Buon appetito

Delta farce

VIETNAM | Saturday, 5 May 2007 | Views [870]

Its an unfair title really as the Mekong is a haven of life, good food, ever so smiley people and adventure.  Its very poor here but welcoming.  The farce bit was the trip from Phnom Penh which took well over 8 hrs but never mind.

My first contact with a Vietnamese chap was the boat driver who spoke no English, DIDN'T wear a conical hat (everone else does) and drove with his feet (which left peculiar steering wheel marks in between his toes)

On board the ship.....err boat....errrrr whatever it was!! (rough wooden construction with deckchairs and bugger all toilet.) I met a tall scouser lad with striking eyes, minature square goatee attached to his chin and tatoos on both arms.

Michael (the scouser)was travelling a bit before setting up a pub in southern Cambodia.  (ambitious I thought) Typically northern, he had some great tales to tell, some of which won't be appearing in this particular blog.

After departing the boat we went to the same guesthouse and I caught up with him over a steaming hotpot of pigs innards, veggies and noodles. mmmm

He told me that a tiny Vietnamese kid had approached him on arrival, his palms out flat.  Towering above him, Michael thought he was just begging and instead of walking away, he decided to give the kid an almighty HIGH FIVE.

Swinging his mighty Liverpudlian arm from above, the little kid must have wondered what hit him! 

Michael failed to realise that the boy was trying to show him his little pet Gecko.  "SMACCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK," went Michaels hand as something small and bloody fell on the floor.

By now, the Gecko was headed to the wall reserved for former lizards, and the kid was audibly crying.  Michael decided to make a hasty retreat. 

and that was my first evening in Vietnam.....

Tags: Laughter

 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.