Existing Member?

Where's Jonny? Care to dine with me? You would think that 11 years of daily food tasting for a living might put me off?......au contraire! Chomp away with me across 6 continents. Seduced like a bloodhound to the scent of good food, I anticipate the misty waft of steaming broths, the satisfying crunch of mudbugs and the vibrant aroma of freshly pulverised lemongrass. Buon appetito

Rabies shot number 4

THAILAND | Wednesday, 25 April 2007 | Views [3526]

JJ shot this photo at high speed

JJ shot this photo at high speed

I departed the Germanically infused Ao Nang (even the menus are in German) on a much more serious scooter than on Koh Lanta.

With flames licking my bum hairs I roared off in the direction of Krabi hospital some 10 kilometers away. (Born to be wild ringing in my ears) 

Equipped with a helmet offering similar resistance to the road as a baseball cap, I leaned professionally into long, windy bends in my blue bermudas.  Immense rusty-faced rocks grew funny tropical foliage on their heads as I curved around them.

I had been to Krabi hospital previously for shot number 2.  Then it was dead.  Today it was crammed.  Every waiting room was teeming with sick people.  I even saw two people sharing a bed.  You might have thought that the Thais would have something better to do than be ill on their public holiday.

I found there to be many similarities with Thai hospitals and the NHS.

As I handed over my registration card there was a grumbling sister who pointed out all the irrelevant details I had failed to fill in.  I passed it back complete to the stern face.

There were loads of smartly dressed nurses milling about.  Most had nothing to do and the ones that moved looked like they needed something to do.

It became apparent that their system was massively beaurocratic (laughably so)

I was told to go to no fewer than 5 different windows. There was administration of payment,(of course)  checking of payment,(come on!) stamping,(oh please!) authorising of stamping (give me a break!)and finally, allowing me the needle with which I had to take to another room! (I don't want to see the bloody thing!)

That said, my wait was no longer than one hour from first window to last and that beats any hospital in the UK I've been to (and there's been a fair few!)

So jolly good show you Thais!

Now on the way back to Ao Nang I became lost.  Hindered by a sign promising a white water rafting adventure, I took a crafty detour along a random jungle road.  The stench of foliage hit my throat hard and I continued for many miles into increasingly dense vegetation.  Banana trees and sheer jungle flashed by on both sides whilst insects bombarded my face like meteteorites. I recall spitting out half a beetle at one point.

An unusual grey sky for Southern Thailand meant agreeably cooler weather though it also meant freak rain at any time.

Following a hand painted sign through the uniform trees of a rubber plantation I started to slide.  The wheels had lost traction on the slippy red clay and I fought deserately with the handle bars.  My bike continued sideways along the track like a speedway racer.

Snaking to a stop I realised my groin had popped a bit but I was pleased not to have hit a rubber tree.

I absconded from the white water rafting jaunt when I saw that it was full of lazy canoeists amd headed back to the resort town I hated.  It had been a fun afternoon of adventure and there was no-one there to stop me............................or help me!!! ha ha ha

Tags: Doctors, hospitals & health

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.