Existing Member?

Where's Jonny? Care to dine with me? You would think that 11 years of daily food tasting for a living might put me off?......au contraire! Chomp away with me across 6 continents. Seduced like a bloodhound to the scent of good food, I anticipate the misty waft of steaming broths, the satisfying crunch of mudbugs and the vibrant aroma of freshly pulverised lemongrass. Buon appetito

Northern Thailand - Chiang Mai

THAILAND | Friday, 23 March 2007 | Views [1123]

Everyone treks in Chiang Mai.  Activities such as white water rafting, elephant riding, cookery courses, quad biking and bog snorkelling are touted evrywhere(the last one is a lie actually)

The city itself is polluted and quite touristy - Boots and Starbucks are here.  Howver, its the surrounding mountains and hilltribes that people like me spend 14hours on a train for.  I was in a coach almost exclusively filled with young Australian girls in their early twenties so you can imagine the hardship this caused.

The toilet was errr, fun especially as I have been eating, "as hot as can be tolerated," curries in a effort to abate my cold.

Billy Connolly once remarked that a fart was, "simply your arse cheeks applauding."  This being the case, I was not just clapping but giving astanding ovation.

A wide hole in the metal floor of the toilet, you can see the sleepers below flash by as you crouched.  There was of course no bog roll whatsoever.  How stupid to assume.  Just a tap and a hose, oh and no towel.

Additionally the train's movement could only be likened to that of a kids bouncy castle.  So this task became an specialised practice.

The soldiers who made regular visits along the cabin were friendly enough and I made the right choice paying a little extra for the lower bunk.  A large, rude, noisy Russian woman took the top bunk.  When she finally rolled, breathless into bed I heard an ominous creak and feared for my life below.

The trek begins tomorrow and my guide seems a friendly chap.  He is a slender, brown guy from the Karen tribe which originate in Myannmar.  He casually informed me of snakes, spiders, creatures that bite, triffids and odd diseases.  Perhaps I should have told him I suffer from hypochondriasis?!

Anyway, he seems capable enough and tomorrow means 2.5 hrs trekking to a waterfall then Elephant riding.  Before ducking under a mozzie net with large amounts of insect replellant applied to my already bitten limbs.

My beard is comuing on a treat though.

A report will follow........Hi ho Silver!

 

Tags: The Great Outdoors

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.