Existing Member?

Year around the world

Whistler

CANADA | Tuesday, 8 January 2013 | Views [221]

Well hello all, this is my first entry into my travel log since leaving Australia. As you've already seen on Facebook, Sarah and I have safely made the 30 hour door to door journey to Stoney Creek Lagoons Whistler. Although it was a bit touch and go in Vancouver or 'Vancouger' as I've  now been told it's called for older singles and their high thread count sheeting. Fearlessly I strayed no more than 500m from the bus terminal to get a SIM card from a mobile dealer in Chinatown. I was questioned by 3 hobos, saw police questioning someone and lastly being asked if I wanted a Gucci handbag by a woman and two pimp looking gentleman. Having said that, inside the terminal wasn't much better.The man in front if us was refused a ticket as he had trouble standing in a 2x2m square, to his credit he didn't fall over.  All in all we made the passage through Vancouger safely and arrive in the snow mecca that is Whistler. 

 
Our apartment is an easy walk through the village to the gondolas and is far enough away from the hustle and bustle of 'snowligans' to get an uninterrupted sleep (apart from the odd roof avalanche).  The  runs and views here are breathtaking, both Whistler and Blackcomb Mountains are huge and even have a gondola, that is a feat of engineering, that joins them. It feels like you're in a plane going over the valley with a 436m drop below. The runs are endless in variety and length. Sarah and I are marking off  lots of blues and greens off the trail map and doing some mogul practice before taking on the blacks. Thanks for reading and for now it's snowboard/sleep repeat for the next month and a half.
 
Aparment view:
Apartment view
 
Harmony ridge: (see link for full panorama)
 
Harmony ridge
 
 
 
 
Harmony Ridge
 
 
 
 
Gondola view:
Gondola view
 
 
Burnt Stew Run:
 
Burnt stew
 
 
 
 
 
 

About joliver4567


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.