Existing Member?

Joe's World Backpacking Trip Stories and pics from my travels.

Fitz Roy Range, Argentina

ARGENTINA | Monday, 21 February 2011 | Views [601]

The closest town to the Fitz Roy range is a village that has a permanent population of around two hundred people.  It balloons to several thousand during the summer season because of all the trekkers and climbers that want to see Fitz Roy.  The range has it's share of glaciers, glacial lakes and forest, but what makes this place even more special are the Fitz Roy peaks.  The peaks jut out over the sorrounding mountain range.  The seem to be of a different formation, as they are jagged and not carved by the ancient glaciers that had passed through the valley millions of years ago.  Because of it's prominence, during sunrise or sunset the peaks give off a pink hue, which sets it apart from the surrounding area, the surrounding snowy peaks and grey and green glacial lakes makes the whole view stark and deeply contrasting in color and shade.  A long day hike took us through the most impressionable parts of the park, lakes you can drink from and finally a summit to a smaller peak where you can see the Fitz Roy peaks up close without having to try and traverse steep snow fields that are prone to avalanche.

Tags: argentina, fitz roy range

 

About joealotto13


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.