Existing Member?

Joe's World Backpacking Trip Stories and pics from my travels.

Patagonia so far, Argentina

ARGENTINA | Friday, 4 February 2011 | Views [788] | Comments [2]

Been awhile since I updated.  I've been in mainly small towns without good internet, that and I'm lazy and don't feel like writing in my blog.  Ushuaia is the town on the Southern tip of South America.  I went on a boat tour in the Beagle Channel and did some hiking in Tierra del Fuego.  Even though it's summer here, it pretty cold and windy, a big change from the ninety degree weather in Buenos Aires.  After Ushuaia I went to El Calafate with a friend and we visited the Perito Moreno glacier.  It is a huge still advancing glacier, if you visit in the afternoon there are huge pieces that break off and fall into the water, creating little tidal waves and icebergs.  I've just got back from El Chalten the village that is closest to the Fitz Roy mountain range, with some more beautiful trekking.  I haven't been doing any tours or anything to adventurous because the prices here are almost comparable to Europe.  In a few days I'm meeting some friends to do a big trek around Torres Del Paine near Puerto Natales in Chile.  I think in all my travels, Patagonia is the most beautiful, you could spend years down here trekking, camping, or fishing in the clear streams and rivers.  These parks are so untouched you can drink the glacial water right out of the streams while you're hiking.  I would love to spend more time down here but if I do I may run out of money, I've been searching for other farms to work on with WWOOF.  Just for the opportunity to stay down here longer and enjoy the scenery.  I'll post another update after Torres del Paine.  I'll upload the photos once I find a place that doesn't have really slow internet.

Tags: argentina, fitz roy, ushuaia

 

Comments

1

Joe Joe, I recently watched a movie on Netflix Instant play that was a documentary about a guy climbing in Patagonia with president of Patagonia clothing.

Here is the info:
180° South
180 Degrees South: Conquerors of the Useless
(2010) PG

Inspired by pioneering outdoorsman Yvon Chouinard's freewheeling 1968 van trip to Patagonia, South America, a band of bliss-seeking surfer-mountaineers sets out -- in 2007, by boat -- to remake the journey in this adventure documentary. Jeff Johnson and his buddies hug the coast, stopping at the Galapagos Islands and Easter Island before arriving in Patagonia -- a region that's still breathtaking but is now besieged by environmental threats.

I just added a National Geographic Instant play also on Patagonia. As usual, I am living vicariously thru your adventures!

  UB Feb 7, 2011 5:26 AM

2

hey trying to plan a cruise want you to come gotta know what century.....raise coming through soon will send you some money on the condition that you don't do anything that will make you bleed, have a concussion, loose a body part or worse.......

  mom Feb 11, 2011 9:35 AM

About joealotto13


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.