Existing Member?

Joe's World Backpacking Trip Stories and pics from my travels.

Sanderson, Texas. 1705 miles so far.

USA | Saturday, 3 April 2010 | Views [575] | Comments [1]

Sanderson is in West Texas, with about 60 miles from any other town in the middle of a valley in the desert.  The landscape has become sparsely populated since I left San Antonio and I’ve had to make better preparations between towns since I’m riding through the desert on roads that aren’t heavily travelled.  The climate and scenery has changed dramatically since I left Louisiana and crossed into Texas and into the West.  It went from bayou to trees and forest and now into cacti and desert.  The people are friendly and hospitable as always.  I’ve had a good shoulder on the road so I haven’t had to deal with motorists other than going through urban centers.  There were strong headwinds today, which made me take a day off.  The winds last night flattened my tent a couple of times in the middle of the night.  Since I last wrote I’ve been through Beaumont, Houston and San Antonio and into hill country.  I stopped in San Antonio to see the riverwalk and The Alamo.  To be honest, as interesting as The Alamo is and as nice as the riverwalk is, all I saw was commercialism, people shopping , or people eating.  I guess I have a different way of looking at travel given the places I usually backpack through.  My highlights for Texas so far have been the small towns though, not the “touristy stuff. “  Each town has a rich history, whether mining or the railroad.  I’ve been through a couple ghost towns and a couple in decline.  I went through one yesterday with a population of 10.  The county I’m in right now has a population of around 950.  I’ve met a couple groups of touring cyclists like myself these past few days.  They have all been headed the opposite direction.  They have all been retirees as well.  People in their 50s-60s.  I camped with a group of them two nights ago and got some good touring advice and heard a few good stories.  If a group of retired people can do a cross country bicycle touring trip, then I should have no reason to complain.  The other bicyclists were pretty surprised to see someone touring solo, and winging it on the route as I am.  As I’ve continued on this trip I’ve become more conditioned, I can ride from dawn to dusk now, and I can cover 60 miles by the early afternoon.  The weather, and the sparseness of the region I’m in have slowed me down.  Not to mention the big hills.  I can’t just ride until the sunset anymore, since that would probably place me right in the middle of the desert with nothing for miles.  I have to plan to finish close to civilization.  I should make it to Arizona in the next couple weeks, mountain range and weather depending.  So far this trip has been a huge success.  I wanted to see America up close, the people and the towns.   I also wanted a challenge.  Something that would test me every day, and I found that with my mode of transport.  This would have been a boring trip if I just drove through in a car on the interstate with everyone else.  I’ve only taken a few pictures so far.  I’m usually too tired or in a good rhythm and I don’t want to stop to take a picture.  For me, this trip was more about the experience than about taking pictures.  I’m sorry to anyone who was looking for daily pictures or something like that.  I’ll probably try to write more about the trip once I get to Arizona.

Tags: beaumont, bicycle touring, houston, san antonio, sanderson, texas, touring

 

Comments

1

Hay Joe, good to see your doing welll. A bunch of us are mobing in El Paso. Shields, Allsopp and a few others. If you make it around here let someone know and we can try to see you before we go. Good luck with the trip, sounds like fun.

  Cromer Jul 17, 2010 12:16 PM

About joealotto13


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.