Existing Member?

Joe's World Backpacking Trip Stories and pics from my travels.

Tikal, Guatemala

GUATEMALA | Saturday, 3 October 2009 | Views [811] | Comments [3]

I stayed in a village called Al Remate about thrirty minutes outside Tikal.  I stayed as close as possible because the park opened at 6 am and I wanted to be one of the first ones there.  I managed to walk into the park at 6.10 and I was the first on there that day.  I had several kilometers of jungle and Mayan ruins to myself for about the first 45 minutes.  I climbed one of the pyramids in the Great Plaza and listened to the jungle wake up.  Birds, insects and howler monkeys.  Tikal is in the middle of a jungle, and enough has been cleared away only to begin excavations on the buildings.  Everything else is as it was found.  Tikal flourished in the 4th and 5th centuries and declined along with all the other Mayan settlements around 950.  The setting of these ruins in the middle of miles of jungle, make them truly spectacular.  On top of a pyramid, all you see is the tops of trees and one or two other pyramids poking out the top for miles.  So far my favorite Mayan site, I doubt there are any that can match it.

Tags: guatemala, mayan ruins, tikal

 

Comments

1

Looks like an awesome time Joe. Whats the weather like down there? Things here are going well. The whole "beating the downtrodden and taking their civil rights away" is working out well for me. I go to Italy at the end of this week for about 20 days. I will let you know how it goes. Take it easy.

  chris Oct 7, 2009 1:40 AM

2

Hey Joe Joe, I received your latest post card. It must be a burden to you to have to carry all of those with you everywhere. But the joke continues to be funny every single time I receive one.

UB

  Uncle B Oct 26, 2009 3:24 AM

3

Joe Joe, can you send me your e-mail address. I had to buy a new laptop so I lost all my saved addresses. Plus I want to send you this year's Halloween costume. It would have fit in nicely with your Tikal shots.

UB

  Uncle B Nov 9, 2009 2:12 AM

About joealotto13


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.