Existing Member?

Joe's World Backpacking Trip Stories and pics from my travels.

Namibia

NAMIBIA | Wednesday, 17 June 2009 | Views [795] | Comments [3]

What an awesome country.  Other than the unpleasantness of being liberated of my wallet in Windhoek, really cool place.  Used to be a German colony, german architecture, german beer, and bratwurst.  I went to Swakopmund in western Namibia.  Right on the Atlantic, and bordered by huge sand dunes.  It's a little town, you would swear you were in Germany.  Spent a few days there, went quad biking in the dunes outside of town with some finnish guys I made friends with.  I ended up renting a 4x4 with two other solo travelers.  A Romanian girl and a Japanese guy.  We rented cooking equipment and a big tent and drove out to Soussusvlei.  Which is in the middle of nowhere.  Hung out there for a few days before I hooked up with the Finnish guys in their truck and went south.  We stopped at Fish River Canyon, second only to the Grand Canyon.  Gorgeous.  We went for a day hike into the canyon, and drove around the top stopping at different points to get pictures.  The beauty of Namibia is vast and barren, and very unique.  One of the more beautiful places I've been.  I've looked forward to Namibia since Kili and it didn't let me down.  I'm in Cape Town now, the Finnish guys fly back home tomorrow so I'm on my own again.  This is the most developed place I've been in Africa.  You would think you were in Western Europe or the states.  Everythings ordered and clean, reasonably priced, people smell nice, no livestock wandering around, no elephants, appalling crime rate.  Just like a western country.  It's nice to be around something familiar for a change.  I'm thinking of renting a motorcycle and driving around South Africa.  We'll see.  So far this country rocks and it's nice to relax a bit.

Tags: fish river canyon, namibia, soussusvlei, south africa, swakopmund

Comments

1

Do you think you will stay in touch with any of these people that you have met on your travels?

  Uncle B Jul 13, 2009 2:02 AM

2

Joey, I got another one of your post cards. Seriously, I don't know why you are spending so much time in all of these far-away places. From the post cards they all look like the Sonoran Desert!

Hey, I think my Mt. Whitney partner is trying to bail on me. I know that even though Mt. Whitney is the highest point in the lower 48 states, at 14,500 ft., it is a mere mole-hill to you. But how about you jump on a cargo plane, meet me in California and we do it together. You can be back in the bush by the next week.

  Uncle B Jul 14, 2009 1:58 PM

3

Joey
Give me a call. Dad

  joe alotto Jul 15, 2009 7:50 AM

About joealotto13


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Namibia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.