Existing Member?

Joe's World Backpacking Trip Stories and pics from my travels.

Bujumbura, Burundi

BURUNDI | Monday, 27 April 2009 | Views [649] | Comments [1]

Bujumbura is the capital of Burundi and on the shores of Lake Tanganika.  It was just like any other African capital with the crazy traffic and people everywhere.  But the people here were really friendly, and almost no white people.  I met this french guy Olivier who was in Bujumbura looking for work and he showed me to all the nice places.  There's a beach on Lake Tanganika which is safe for swimming.  The view is beautiful.  You see Bujumbura on the water on the left, and the Virunga mountains in DRC on the other side of the water on the right.  Behind where we were on the beach was an expensive hotel with a pool and restaurant.  We went inside with an Indian we met named Bush and had an incredible view onto the lake and the mountains while we had dinner.  That's were all the white people were hiding too, I guess they don't go into the city center much because I rarely saw a white person in town.  In this area, there are mainly UN workers, NGO workers and volunteers.  Almost no travelers.  It's nice to not be somewhere that's overcrowded with tourists, but there isn't anything set up for travelers.  And where I'm at now in Gisenyi people stop in the streets to stare because a white person is so uncommon.

Tags: bujumbura, burundi, lake tanganika

 

Comments

1

Wow.. you´ve done a long journey since your response to my mail :)

  Luis May 1, 2009 8:49 AM

About joealotto13


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Burundi

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.