Existing Member?

Joe's World Backpacking Trip Stories and pics from my travels.

The Ride of Doom, Ethiopia/Kenya

KENYA | Thursday, 12 March 2009 | Views [1099] | Comments [5]

I made it to Nairobi.  My first mode of transport was a rickety overcrowded bus from Addis Ababa to the border town of Moyale, Ethiopia.  It's a two day bus ride and 4 hours into day one an axle fell of the bus.  Yep, in the middle of nowhere, Africa.  This is something that can't be fixed with a heavy rock and pointy stick.  They sure did try though.  Three hours later our replacement bus arrived to whisk us to our destination.  Two days later, we arrive to Moyale the border town.  The only transport from Moyale Ethiopia/Kenya to Isiolo, Kenya is to hitch on a open back lorry for the 20+ hour ride south.  The road isn't paved and is incredibly bumpy and dusty.  Also, it's a good idea to stay inside the part of the truck with a canopy so as not to alert the possible Somali bandits on the road.  We had a couple armed soldiers riding on the truck too so we were protected.  I did this ride with three other white people.  An English girl and an Israeli couple.  After arriving in Isiolo, we were there for about ten minutes before hopping on a minibus to Nairobi where we arrived today about midday.  I'm staying in a nice hotel tonight, with a hot shower and everything to wash off all the layers of dirt accumulated over the past couple days.  I'm glad to be outta Ethiopia and in Kenya, it only gets better from here.  I'll go back up to Nanyuki in a couple days to check out Mt. Kenya.  

Tags: addis ababa, ethiopia, isiolo, kenya, lorry, moyale, nairobi

Comments

1

Tell the natives I said hi!

  Uncle B Mar 15, 2009 3:00 AM

2

Wow and you did it without even having too! We will send your jeep over!

  Uncle Kevin Mar 15, 2009 10:51 AM

3

Joe, You are a crazy man. You are going to have to write a book, that is for sure. We love you and miss you and are just so proud of you going on such an adventure. Stay safe. Love, Nan and Pop

  Nan Mar 17, 2009 12:28 PM

4

Mom does not like hearing about Somali army men.....lions and tigers or bears. glad you can sleep in a real bed and take a real shower. looks like the army prepared you well for craziness. anyway i miss you and love you come home before your sister gets married and has three kids. love mom

  mom Mar 18, 2009 4:47 AM

5

Joey, can you post photos of that 15,000 foot summit you did and tell us about it?

  Uncle B Mar 22, 2009 2:46 AM

About joealotto13


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.