Existing Member?

Joe's World Backpacking Trip Stories and pics from my travels.

Muscat, Oman

OMAN | Tuesday, 20 January 2009 | Views [614]

I arrived by bus to Muscat from Dubai.  I couchsurfed with a German guy named Daniel.  He's a German teacher at the university in Muscat so I stayed at his place at the university.  There wasn't much going on for a college campus.  All the guys who went to school there lived off the grounds, and all the women lived on the grounds.  Not as cool as you would think.  The women are locked in their dorm buildings at 930 PM behind security guards, walls and barbed wire.  So I didn't meet any girls while I was there.  The highlight for Muscat for me was being at a restaraunt when Oman won the Gulf Cup Soccer Semi-finals.  Me and Daniel went to leave in his Bronco, and the whole city went nuts.  The traffic on the streets was at a standstill, people were honking and hanging out of their windows and sunroofs waving giant Omani flags.  Every line of cars became a parade.  The best part of this whole ordeal was the fact that Daniel and I were the only white people.  So anytime we drove by a crowd of Omanis celebrating, I would hang out the passenger window and cheer with them.  I felt like the celebration was for me because every time I did that they would come running to shake my hand or give me a high five, they were excited to see foreigners cheering for their team.

Tags: gulf cup, muscat, oman

 

About joealotto13


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Oman

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.