Existing Member?

Joe's World Backpacking Trip Stories and pics from my travels.

Mt. Sinai, Egypt ,Aqaba, and Wadi Rum Jordan

JORDAN | Saturday, 1 November 2008 | Views [1588] | Comments [3]

I finally managed to pull myself away from Dahab.  Pristine coral reefs, 1.75 a night accomodation and 2 dollar meals.  It was hard to leave to say the least.  I climbed Mt. Sinai before I left.  We climbed in the middle of the night so we could see the sunrise from the summit.  I don't know if it's the real Mt. Sinai or not, but it had a beautiful view regardless.  Me and the guys who went decided to go off the path and scramble up these rocks near the top to get a better view.  The package tourists, as usual following whatever is in front of them saw our flashlights on top of this rock formation and followed us thinking thats where they were supposed to go.  Me and the guys must have laughed for 2 hours straight watching middle aged women and elderly people try to negotiate these rocks so they could reach the "summit" of Mt. Sinai.  I made a few friends in Dahab.  An american, brazilian, a couple aussies, an english guy and a polish dude.  I travelled via the "fast" ferry from the port in Egypt to the port Aqaba, in Jordan.  The one hour ferry as advertised ended up being five hours.  Oh, well.  We paid some hostel to let us sleep on the roof for like two bucks in Aqaba.  Then we hitched/ got a ride to Wadi Rum, Jordan.  It's way out of the way, near the border of Saudi.  It's where Lawrence of Arabia used to hang out.  It had an incredible landscape.  Can't really articulate it so check out the pics.  We stayed in a bedouin camp.  Me, three aussies and the english guy.  It was a nice experience, we got bedouin food and got to sleep in the desert.  Leaving Wadi Rum was a challenge.  It's like 30K from the "highway" so we had to hitch to the highway, then found a taxi to take us to Petra.  So far Jordan has been interesting, a little different from Egypt.  It's definately quieter.  Not as much hassle, but still the same rip-off attempts.  Jordan is surprisingly expensive for a third world, middle eastern country.  Still cheaper than Europe so that's a good thing.

Tags: aqaba, egypt, jordan, lemmings, mt. sinai, wadi rum

 

Comments

1

How was petra? Was it packed with tourists? Things are good here. Halloween was fun, I posted some pics on myspace. Be glad you are not here during the election. Its a mess right now. I will be glad when its over. Keep your eye on the news for possible riots no matter who wins.

  chris Nov 2, 2008 8:39 AM

2

Joe Joe - I just finished "Another Bloody Love Letter", the book you lent me. It was good, but not great. The writing was a bit too flowery for my tastes. But thanks for letting me read it.

UB

  Uncle B Nov 3, 2008 3:55 AM

3

Your photos and stories are amazing! Life back in the States is going to be pretty dull for you when you return.

Uncle B

PS - I have been doing the rock wall at Lifetime Fitness, but it is not as much fun doing it alone. Do you think you will still join when you come back?

  Uncle B Nov 3, 2008 5:37 AM

About joealotto13


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Jordan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.