Existing Member?

Joe's World Backpacking Trip Stories and pics from my travels.

Dahab, Egypt

EGYPT | Saturday, 25 October 2008 | Views [944] | Comments [2]

I've been in Dahab I think a week now.  This is one of the places that you get here as a backpacker passing through, and then stay forever.  I got here via bus from Luxor.  It was an 18 hour bus ride overnight.  They played Arabic movies, which mostly comprised of police sirens, cell phones, and women screaming.  The one working speaker for the whole bus was right over my head.  They played these horrible movies until 2 or 3 am.  Oh well, that's what happens when you travel on a budget.  I'm staying in a Hostel, which resemble more of a Bedouin camp than anything else.  It's 10 Egyptian Pounds a night.  Which is equivalent to about 1.75 USD.  10 feet in front of the hostel is the water.  Wade into the water (which is warmer than a swimming pool) and your in coral reefs.  The water is crystal clear, and all kinds of fish and aquatic life.  They have scuba training here for dirt cheap so I signed up.  Yesterday I graduated my PADI open water diver certification course.  In the states you take this course in a swimming pool, here you take it in coral reefs with barracuda and triggerfish.  So far on this trip this is my favorite place.  It's going to be hard to leave here.  I think I'll climb Mt. Sinai in the next couple days and then head to Jordan.  This trip is only going to get more interesting.  (If things work out the way I want)

Tags: beach, dahab, diving, egypt, gonna be an expat, scuba, sinai

 

Comments

1

Scuba diving is awesome Joe. I am glad you took the opportunity to get your certification. Aiden got the post card you sent yesterday. He was so excited. He ran and put it in his, "super secret hiding spot". I might actually have a job here soon, so life is good. Take care and keep posting pictures and updates. We are having a lot of fun following your trip. And remember no matter what happens, don't kiss wieners.

  chris Oct 26, 2008 5:11 AM

2

I got your post card of that Grand Canyon place. Wow, Europe is sure cool. Maybe sometime I can save up enough money to go to a place like that.

UB

  brian williams Oct 30, 2008 2:02 AM

About joealotto13


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Egypt

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.