Existing Member?

The backpack is on again

Out in the van with Pilip

PHILIPPINES | Friday, 6 March 2009 | Views [367]

At Hoyop-Hoyopan caves

At Hoyop-Hoyopan caves

We have just got back to Naga after a few days relaxing at the beach. Bliss! More about that later.

On Saturday morning we had arranged for a man called Pilip to pick us up and take us to some local sites before dropping us off at a beach resort. Pilip was waiting for us as we checked out and fora minute, we though that the tricycle parked outside the Casablanca Hotel belonged to him. I wasn't sure I was up to a day of bumping around on potholed roads squashed into a sidecar. Fortunately, we didn't have to. Pilip had a nice air conditioned van – what a luxury!

First of all he took us to Hoyop-Hoyopan Caves about 8ks from Legaspi. We took a guide around the caves and he pointed out shapes that looked like a cobra, a hanging man, a hand, a pteradactyl, an elephant etc. We found more as we studied the amazing stalactites and stalagmites. We also heard some interesting storied about the caves, for example when the lakes inside dry up, it means that Mt. Mayon is going to blow. This happens even before vulcanologists detect signs. The caves were used for dances during Marcos's time and housed 90 families during the Japanese occupation.

Tags: legaspi

About joblogs

Ready to go again

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.