Existing Member?

The backpack is on again

Transportation options

PHILIPPINES | Sunday, 1 March 2009 | Views [594]

Naga street scene

Naga street scene

One of the first things you notice in Manila are the jeepneys. These are public transportation basically, but we have yet to take one. We did travel by something similar in Laos, but they were nowhere near as colourful. Jeepneys are basically long trucks with benches inside and even space on the roof. The drivers seem to be in competition with each other over the original decor. Whenever I have pointed my camera at the jeepneys, the drivers smile proudly and all the passengers wave at me.

The other things you see a lot are motorised rickshaws with a kind of sidecar attached. I think they are called tricycles here. We took these a lot in Sri Lanka and India, but I don't have such fond memories. I remember being stuck in a Chennai (Madras) traffic jam in a rickshaw being so low down that you get lungfuls of exhaust fumes. That 45 minute journey was probably the equivalent of smoking 20 fags a day for a couple of years.

Jeepneys and tricycles look like they have been cobbled together from bits of army jeep, bits of tank and general scrap metal They give the city a real sci-fi feel. In a post apocalyptic world, jeepneys, tricycles and cockroaches rule.

Now we only take chauffeur-driven limos. Actually, we don't – I'm kidding. The trains in Manila were really good. Fast, frequent, cool and (from our limited experience) safe (thanks to the security checks as you go into the stations). I have heard how taxi drivers rip you off, but the taxi driver who brought us to the airport had his meter on. So far so good.

We originally planned to take the train to Naga, but were put off my a few things. It takes between 8 and 12 hours (which is it? That's quite a difference). It is an overnight train so we wouldn't see the countryside anyway. There's no sleeper car. There is no air conditioning. Locals pelt the train with rocks and fruit along the way. I'm sure this can't be true, but it is apparently the reason for the metal grills on the windows. Not exactly the Orient Express then. That is why we are flying to Naga this morning – it's a 45 minute flight and cost 3 pesos (plus plus plus plus as it turned out, but still each leg was on average 7 pounds per person).

We were delayed by 4 hours in the end, but met some nice people along the way.

Tags: manila, transportation

About joblogs

Ready to go again

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.