Existing Member?

The backpack is on again

Shopping

PHILIPPINES | Sunday, 1 March 2009 | Views [714]

I can't stop going on about the shops! We were staying in an area of Manila with no fewer than 13 malls. THIRTEEN! They were the sort of malls I love too. A few international stores, but mainly quirky (cheap!) local boutiques interspersed with restaurants, salons and cafés. I have travelled a fair bit (and shopped a fair bit...) and I have to say that Manila gets Jo's number one award for the shopping experience. Kuala Lumpur is a close(ish) second. Buenos Aires definitely has the edge for shoes and bags. Hanoi, Delhi and Bangkok for silk. Singapore for tailors. The boutiques here are as even better than the ones I love in Bangkok and Singapore, and MUCH cheaper. Ladies, you heard it from me: shop in Manila. Sales assistants don't follow you around like they do in Indonesia, or shout “Largie” at you like they do in South Korea, and they stock more than 2 sizes like they do in Japan (small, and way too small). I shopped for 2 hours and bought 4 frocks, a pair of discount CK sunglasses, a bikini and a bag and then ran out of money. Apart from the sunglasses, my purchases were all between 3 pounds and 15 pounds. I saw lots of other things I liked too and plan to lose David for a few hours when we pass through again.

Tags: manila, shopping

About joblogs

Ready to go again

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.