Existing Member?

The little adventures of Jo! Travel with me on my overdue gap year around the world :)

Au Revoir Montréal - je vous aime beaucoup :(

USA | Monday, 25 March 2013 | Views [1205]

I left Montréal with a heavy heart. I didn't expect to feel like this especially since my next stop has been my dream for a very long time - New York City.

The train ride from Montréal to New York took 12 hours but was pretty scenic. It started off with rustic log cabins by snowy beaches and frozen lakes and as we moved down, the scenery defrosted and became more urban again.
 
The differences between the USA and Canada became apparent again one hour into the train ride when customs officers came aboard to conduct their interviews. Although I was asked a lot more questions, I definitely was not the worst off. 
 
As with all first days, I don't know what to feel about the Big Apple! First impression is that it's busy! I was really lucky to have Monica, a lovely woman I met on the train, carefully show me to a taxi. My taxi driver on the other hand, drove like the city and got me feeling sick but got me where I needed to be in really good time :)
 
Even though I didn't get to do some of the must-do's in Montréal (or more correctly must-eat's), I'm not worried. I have a very strong suspicion that I will be back soon. Merci beaucoup to Marianne for showing me a good time in your beautiful city. Even though we've never met until three days ago, I feel like we've known each other for a long time! I'll miss you!

Tags: canada, cities, food, friendly strangers, friends, nature, snow, trains, usa, winter

About joannawong


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.