Existing Member?

The little adventures of Jo! Travel with me on my overdue gap year around the world :)

Below freezing in Fairbanks

USA | Monday, 4 March 2013 | Views [404]

You realize that Anchorage isn't cold when you come to Fairbanks. This is a completely different level of cold. I think my thermals, fleece and down are required every second I am out. If I could take a quilt with me, I'd be better. And yet, there are people casually walking around with a t-shirt. 

I arrived in Fairbanks around 8pm last night on Alaska Railroad's Aurora train. The journey took a good 12 hours filled with spectacular snowy scenery and spotting of moose. 
 
I'm surprised with the large number of Asians who come to Alaska. They have lots of visitors from Japan, Taiwan, China and Korea, many of whom are most keen in catching the aurora or northern lights. 
 
I had a chance to see the northern lights yesterday but wasn't feeling too well. I'm hoping to catch it for the remainder of nights I'm here though!
 
I also found a travel buddy for this leg who reminds me of a favourite colleague of mine that I secretly dub him "the American Duncan". He's a lovely fellow who just happens to have the same itinerary as myself but not have it. I think it's because he doesn't use email. He struggles to use his mobile but takes really good photos on his point and shoot.
 
We're heading up to ColdFoot, also known as the last truck stop, today. It seems like it'll only be a little colder than Fairbanks, which really is cold enough!

 

Tags: friendly strangers, nature, northern lights, snow, trains, usa, winter

About joannawong


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.