Existing Member?

The little adventures of Jo! Travel with me on my overdue gap year around the world :)

Last day in SF!

USA | Wednesday, 27 February 2013 | Views [439]

I spent my last day chilling out in the Mission District. It was refreshing to get out to somewhere without the tourists. I'm not entirely sure if you could call the Mission "da hood". But it reminded me of my favourite suburb in Brisbane - West End. A good ethnic mix of people, lots of eateries and just a nice relaxed vibe. It doesn't sound anything like "da hood" now that I've described it. :) 

My first stop on this trip has been lovely. Thanks to fantastic weather, I've managed to go to most (if not all) the tourist must-do's: Lombard St, Fisherman's wharf, Fort Mason, Golden Gate Bridge, Golden Gate Park and de Young, Legion of Honor, Chinatown, Coit tower and Telegraph Hill and Alcatraz. I'm glad that I had enough time to also get a feel of the local atmosphere at Hayes valley (where I bought my super Timbuk2 bag), Filmore for the live jazz and the Mission. Five days well spent!
 
If you're visiting San Francisco, my tips for you would be:
 
1. Be prepared for a workout - this city has LONG, steep hills! Comfortable walking shoes are a must.
 
2. If you don't have time for anything but one thing, get yourself a rental bike and cycle over the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito. It is the best! But take note of my first tip - serious uphills and downhills!
 
3. Try to move away from the tourist areas. While I agree that Fisherman's Wharf is a must for every tourist visiting SF, don't spend all your time there. Explore the other sides of the city and you'll get a more authentic feel for what it has to offer. If the hills are giving you too much grief, the buses are cheap and your tourist map will be a good guide on how to use the service.
 
I stayed at HI Fisherman's Wharf. It's not in Fisherman's Wharf itself but within Fort Mason. This adds to its cool factor because the hostel is actually in a historic building. A bit of a trek uphill but overlooks the water. Place is quiet but homely and the price to stay isn't that bad either.
 
Off to Anchorage early in the morning tomorrow! 

Tags: cities, landmarks, museums, public transport, sightseeing, usa

About joannawong


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.