Existing Member?

The little adventures of Jo! Travel with me on my overdue gap year around the world :)

Bupsa

NEPAL | Wednesday, 9 October 2013 | Views [752]

Altitude: 2350m.

Today is day 2 after recommencing our trek. Though the knee hurts, especially going downhill, I feel much better in general. It's amazing the effect weather has and even more amazing, is having the right attitude.

Yesterday's stint brought us to our first view of Everest and the famous Himalayan peaks, two hours into our walk. We stopped for a short break to savour the view and for me to also buy some nak cheese*. :) As we continued on, the same view followed us providing a sense of encouragement and promise of our once-in-a-lifetime end goal. Nothing compares to seeing Everest tower over you, even at a considerable distance. The Himalayas are indeed a magnificent sight to behold.

We did some major climbs today, in almost unbearable heat. Our treat came at the end of our climb, when we had a complete view of the terraced hills we so labouriously treaded. It was so worth it - wholly.

I'm really starting to enjoy this experience even more. I've begun to really appreciate the journey much better - not just the scenery and walk, but the little things that accompany it. Things like greeting the locals and getting a hearty "Namaste!" in return, receiving shy but genuine smiles from children and laughing at the silly animals we come across - donkeys who clearly want to be elsewhere and not slaving, dogs who showed no interest in me until I bought nak cheese, and Sagarmatha lodge's very vocal cat.

I keep recalling the words of Griff, one of the two older Canadian gentlemen we met while resting in Junbesi. He said his favourite part about the trek was slowing down. So often in our usual daily lives, we are in a rush to do this and that, and if we aren't, we're looking to get to that state. With this trek, for once, you can allow yourself some patience and take each step in your own time. Wise words.

*The Sherpas make cheese from naks or female yaks, as taught by the Swiss. It features a lot in most lodges' menu and is quite sharp and stinky (!) like gruyere.

Tags: animals, food, friendly strangers, himalayas, mountains, nature, nepal, outdoors, trekking

About joannawong


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.