Existing Member?

The little adventures of Jo! Travel with me on my overdue gap year around the world :)

Leaving the Country of Hakuna Matata

KENYA | Tuesday, 10 September 2013 | Views [706]

Beyond the burnt down airport and the chaotic jammed-up streets of Nairobi, lies a country and experience I will hold close to my heart. Ten days in Kenya was not enough and would never be enough to fully appreciate this country. We've merely scratched the surface.

I'll miss safari days seeing little Thomson's gazelles wag their tails as if to say hi, and buffalos and wildebeest with their funny faces watch us warily. I'll miss watching the grace of elephants and giraffes, and feeling the majestic presence of lions and cheetahs. I'll miss seeing my Dad have random chats with friendly locals. I'll miss the peaceful lush green of Nakuru, the untamed wild of the Mara and the dustbowl that is Amboseli. I'll miss waving at little Maasai shepherd boys who so eagerly run as close as they can to the road to share a smile. I'll really miss the friendliness of everyone I've met. I'll even miss correcting staff about not being my Dad's wife and laughing about it with them later. Or trying to kindly reject strangers hoping to send in their application to be my husband! 
 
I'll miss the Hakuna Matata (no problem!) vibe that is pure Kenya.

Tags: animals, cities, family, friendly strangers, kenya, outdoors, reflections

About joannawong


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.