Existing Member?

The little adventures of Jo! Travel with me on my overdue gap year around the world :)

A Fabulous Day in Salzburg

AUSTRIA | Thursday, 18 July 2013 | Views [463]

I am so happy I decided to make an overnight stop in the lovely city of Salzburg.
 
Salzburg is the hometown of Mozart, a composer I adored in my piano-playing days and was the main reason for my visit. Seeing his birthplace from the outside was not good enough for me, so I paid 10€ to walk through his old home where he wrote most of his songs as a child and teenager. The experience was surreal. Walking through the museum that now  occupied his family home, you truly appreciate what a genius he was but also find endearment reading very personal letters he wrote to Constance, his wife.
 
Apart from Mozart, Salzburg is well know for being the home of the von Trapp family, of the Sound of Music. While I obviously came here for Mozart above anything else, Salzburg is really a city of music. After walking around this beautiful city (one of the most beautiful and charming cities I've been to in Europe),  I ended my day in the gorgeous Mirabell gardens at sunset with a fantastic backdrop of old town and the Hohensalzburg fortress, and a free concert from the Militärmusik or military orchestra. The music was wonderful but so was the people watching. There were a lot of people in traditional dress, old people who made the effort to come and enjoy music, and a crazy drunk trying to get every single person he came across to listen to "the best music in the world". What cracked me up the most was this Asian mother-daughter duo. The mother was falling asleep. It is so typical Asian to fall asleep in the most amazing places as though they were so boring.
 
I really did love visiting Salzburg and it's a pity I only had a day to see it. I'm now off to my first stop in the Czech Republic, Cesky Krumlov. I'm hoping the so-called heart of Bohemia doesn't let me down!

 

Tags: bohemia, cities, european adventure, music, sightseeing

About joannawong


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Austria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.