Existing Member?

The little adventures of Jo! Travel with me on my overdue gap year around the world :)

Munich - More Than Just Beer

GERMANY | Wednesday, 17 July 2013 | Views [405]

I have to say it's really nice travelling first class on trains without having to pay a single cent extra. The RailJet trains I've been on have been the best so far, with comfortable seats equipped with power points, wifi on board and lovely staff who welcome you on board. It's a far cry in terms of comfort from those slow regional trains in Spain and Italy. I don't hate the trains in Spain or Italy, because they had a different sense of charm. I just think the trains here are better in providing you comfort across the distances

This time I'm leaving Munich or München. It's been a short but extremely sweet visit to see Ulli, a girl I met on my first day in Peru. It's always a wonderful experience to see your fellow traveller again especially in their hometown, and I am always overwhelmed with surprise over their generous and kind hospitality. Even though a lot of our friendships were built with just one day together, I always feel like I'm being welcomed like an old friend. Ulli is no exception.
 
Munich has been fascinating to say the least. Months ago, when I was thinking about where I wanted to go in Europe, I had no inclination to visit Germany or Munich. But here I am, amazed at what I've seen and experienced, knowing that two nights in Munich is too short a visit to truly enjoy this city. It's not that it's so big. It's just that there's a lot to sit back and enjoy.
 
Like Amsterdam, Munich has proved me wrong by showing me that it's not all about beer (although there's a lot of it). It's a city full of history from its conservative Catholic days battling the rise of Protestants, to the troubles it faced with the Second World War being the original Nazi stronghold. If I hadn't delved into its history, I would've thought the city has never had a troubled past. It's recovered so well that its scars are barely recognisable.
 
Munich's good reputation of being extremely liveable is very apparent. Although it is a sizeable city, being Germany's third largest, you don't get that big city feeling. It's easy to get around with its many modes of transport and walking (and shopping) is easy around the centre with its good number of pedestrianised streets.
 
Even though there's more to Munich than just the beer, I must admit that I believe it is the mecca for beer. This isn't bad because they make and drink beer well here. The Bavarian biergarten (beer garden) is a something everyone should experience if in town because it is special. I love the idea of coming together with your friends in the open air and being able to order filling Bavarian meals or bring your own picnic, while enjoying some good beer - only in litre steins.
 
I've had a good time in Munich seeing Ulli and meeting her friends, and was pleasantly surprised at what the city had to offer. I'm sad I didn't have more time to settle in and feel part of the city, but I'm hearing the Sound of Music afar, calling me from a city called Salzburg.
 
 
 

Tags: cities, european adventure, friends, history, sightseeing, trains

About joannawong


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.