Existing Member?

The little adventures of Jo! Travel with me on my overdue gap year around the world :)

Museum-ed Out

ITALY | Sunday, 23 June 2013 | Views [630]

Today I woke up feeling like I didn't want to get out of bed. I was tired from the day before, spent visiting museum after museum. I had to pack my stuff because my hostel wanted me to switch rooms. So I dragged myself out of bed very slowly and grudgingly. While packing my stuff, I realised my locker key was missing. Damn!
 
I think I've reached a point in my travels where I am exhausted. All I want to do is to be able to get somewhere and not do anything. An added bonus would to be with friends I love and miss. Even though my trip to Santorini isn't far, with Rome and Athens before it, it feels far.
 
Lying in bed this morning, I started missing so many places all at once. A photo of the sun setting over the financial district in New York set me off reminiscing and missing people. I wanted to be in Australia, New York, Canada and Brazil all at the same time.
 
Florence is interesting without a doubt, being completely packed with museums overflowing with renowned history and art. It is also crowded with tourists wanting to see just its main monuments - the Duomo, David and Uffizi. Of course, there is so much more to Florence and so much else to learn in the city. In fact, I found the less visited places like the Galileo Museum and Palazzo Strossi more enjoyable and educational.
 
Fuelled with gelato and good food, I'm glad I soldiered on and made full use of my Firenze card. If anything, the food is always a highlight to my day. The three course dinner at Il Latini was exquisite the other day especially since it was coupled with a great red. My custom made sandwich from Osteri all'Antico Vinaio was today's highlight. A combination of gorgonzola, lettuce, fresh tomato, spicy eggplant and prosciutto for just five euros - bellisimo! Of course, there's always room for gelato or a cappuccino to perk up my day.
 
Heading early to bed tonight and hoping not to be plagued by mozzies. They've started with me! :( I'm starting my day early and energetically tomorrow, scaling the very dome that I can see through the window in my new room, before heading to Pisa to see its famous tower.
 

Tags: cities, european adventure, friends, history, museums, sightseeing

About joannawong


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.