Existing Member?

The little adventures of Jo! Travel with me on my overdue gap year around the world :)

En route to Barcelona

SPAIN | Sunday, 2 June 2013 | Views [337]

I'm travelling on yet another train. There will be a lot more of this. This time I'm going from Zaragoza to Barcelona on a slow regional train. Slow might put some people off, but I actually have enjoyed taking it easy, watching the scenery, having lots of space to myself and not having to pay extra for reservations with my Eurail pass.

Zaragoza made an interesting stop. It wasn't exactly what I had expected. Given the information I read about its ancient history, I expected it to be like Toledo. While it does have a lot of history and very interesting old buildings, it was much more modern and less touristy. 
 
As usual I did a self-guided walk around town when I got there yesterday. Most attractions are very close to each other in the old quarter surrounding the main Basilica del Pilar, where a column that the Virgin Mary supposedly brought to Zaragoza, is still is part of the building. However, it's worth venturing outside the centre as visiting the Palacio Aljaferia is a must. I think it's my favourite building in Europe so far. Originally a Muslim palace, it has tumultuous past as it was taken over by the Catholics for their royalty. However, with its unique Mudajer (Hispanic-Muslim) architecture, it makes an impressive and beautiful place to just walk around and appreciate.
 
I've got less than an hour more to Barcelona and am getting excited seeing the sea again. I'm really looking forward to finally seeing the city that everyone raves about!

Tags: cities, european adventure, sightseeing, trains

About joannawong


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.