Existing Member?

A Year Down Under

Roundabouts, wide right turns, and windshield wipers...

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 9 September 2009 | Views [429] | Comments [1]

G'day :)

Another week has gone! Time has been going pretty quickly and I can't believe we're well into September already. I will be offically starting at my new job on the 14th which I am very excited about! It will definately be a challenge, but something different than I've ever done so its exciting and scary at the same time. I will be working a few more days this week with Gloria Jeans and then may take a shift here and there, but I'm not sure how my schedule is going to look once I get started.

The most exciting thing for me this week is that I am borrowing Hannah's car for a few days while she's in Melbourne for work. Her car was just going to sit at her work so she offered it to me! It is such a relief to have some freedom and be able to go wherever I want whenever I want. I picked it up yesterday and within 30 secs I was laughing at myself. I hit the blinker to make a left turn and managed to turn on both the front and rear wipers instead! I forgot Dane told me the blinkers and wipers are switched in most cars here. haha. So while trying to drive and figure out where I was going I was also trying to figure out how to make the wipers stop!I did eventually get it under control and made my way home.

Wangaratta is cursed with lots and lots of roundabouts. Something I'm definately not as comfortable driving, but I'm starting to get use to them. Many of the intersections are roundabouts instead of a 2-way or 4-way stop like I'd find in the States. Hannah's car is automatic so I can at least concentrate all my attention instead of worring about shifting as well, lol. There's also wide right turns. I'm trying to get my bearings with these because normally thats a left turn for me. I just need to make sure I'm wide enough not to go in to the wrong lane of traffic!

This past weekend Dane and I went to one of his workmates' houses for drinks and dinner. It was a fun night especially when the guys pulled out the rockband and played til 1am! Saturday was a running around day, finalizing some things for Dane's house. We ended up going to another friend's place to watch the footie game. Footie (Australian football) is something I don't quite understand yet. Dane and a friend Mick were trying to explain the rules to me, but its still a bit confusing. To get an idea of what I'm talking about youtube "australian football" and take a look. Just like that is confusing to me, our football or gridiron as the aussies say, is confusing to them! So funny.

The weekend ended with me working a full day at gloria jeans and then a drive to Myrtleford to see Dane's family. It was Father's Day here on the 6th, not in June. So we spent a few hours there and I met a few more famliy members. We also took a drive up to a place where Brenton, Dane's brother, found some old mine shafts. We looked around a bit then headed home later than night.

This weekend will be busy again as Dane's birthday is Friday. We'll probably go out to dinner with some friends and I think we'll be going to the Wangaratta footie final on saturday.

Hope everyone had a fun and safe Labor Day weekend!

xoxo

Comments

1

I would have paid good money to see you driving backwards, upsidedown and with your wipers on!!

  Nic Sep 11, 2009 2:02 AM

About jhawley112


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.