Existing Member?

A Year Down Under

Do you have a crumpet button on your toaster??

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 2 September 2009 | Views [1218] | Comments [1]

Hello :)

So do you have a crumpet button on your toaster? lol Probably not, but Dane does. I learned what a crumpet is this week and that it is different than an english muffin, but not that different in my opinion. I had them for breakfast this morning in case you were wondering where that came from.

Going in to week 3 and it has been a very busy one! I had my first full week of work at Gloria Jeans and got my first paycheck on monday!! yay :) I ended up working almost 30hrs so I was definately not bored. I've enjoyed being there as everyone is really nice and it reminds me of being at the Lake Effect Cafe making coffees for some of my favorite people. I did struggle, and still do a bit, in the first days understanding some of the customers that came in. We both speak english but there is a lot a slang and things I just don't pick up yet. I found myself repeating a person's order outloud to myself the way I'm use to saying it just to make sure I had it right.

Also, I got lots of questions while working at the til(?) (register) at G.J., like "Where are you from?, Are you American or Canadian?, How did you end up in Wangaratta?, Geez you're a long way from home. Nick, the owner also likes to introduce me as "this is Jenny, from Buffalo, NY" over and over. I apparently add international flair, haha. It has been nice there and I will be working more this week and next week.

The job hunting got more complicated this week as well. While I was walking in to my first day at G.J. I got a phone call for an interview at the domestic violence center I've been trying to contact. But, before I could get to that interview, I got a phone call from NESAY offering me a job with their organization! I ended up asking them for some time so I could still interview with the other place.

I ended up having the 2nd interview this past monday and it went alright. I was not as confident because it is an area I am not as familiar with. I then called them yesterday (tues) and asked if they could give me any indication of a job offer as I had another offer waiting to hear back from me. This might be confusing but it came down to yesterday afternoon and having to decide between 3 jobs!

I have decided to go with the domestic violence center and will just be waiting for confirmation from my references and a call back from the manager. Until then I will continue to make the coffee and hopefully start the new job sept 14th. I am excited and nervous but this will give me more direct experience counseling and also the chance to learn about the area of domestic violence.

Besides work stuff, things have been going well. I'm still adjusting to finding my own way of things here and also adjusting to being with Dane on a regular basis. It's different from the emails and skyping we were use to doing thats for sure. But we're learning about each other everyday and I am happy to be here with him.

I've also started to get back to the gym and enjoy going to some of the classes they have at the YMCA here. Hannah, Dane's roommate, likes to go so it's encouraging to have someone to go with again. There was also a birthday party this past weekend at his house for a few of his friends so it was nice to talk some more with his friends here.

Dane and I also had the chance to go up to the snow this past Friday night. Some friends had a cabin with an extra bed and offered for us to come up for the night. We went to Mt. Hotham and it was a beautiful drive up to the mountain top....lots of sharp curves, but still fun. Saturday morning, inspite of the rain, Dane went snowboarding for a few hours. I decided to stay in the lodge and drink coffee and people watch instead of spending the money and getting soaked. The drive home was messy but it was good to get away for the night.

Then, on the way home, I finally got to drive!! Very weird! I had to get use to being in a different car, shifting with my left hand, and driving on the other side of the road all at once! I know I made Dane nervous especially since he's never seen me drive before, but I did really well considering. It will just take some more practice. I may be able to use his grandpa's car for a few weeks so that will definately help!

Well, I hope you are all well and have enjoyed the ending of summer :/ Don't worry I send summer pictures soon, lol.

Love,

Jenny

Comments

1

Hey sister- so glad you finally got to drive?? I'm thinking by the time you come home, driving here will seem foreign!! xxoo

  Nicole Sep 5, 2009 11:50 PM

About jhawley112


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.