Existing Member?

THE AMAZING ADVENTURES OF JESS & DAN back on the road again...

saying goodbye 2009...scotland style

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 2 January 2009 | Views [652] | Comments [4]

dear all,

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!we hope everyone had a great new year and said goodbye to 2008 in style.

we knew edinburgh was going to be huge for the hogmanay festivities, but i dont think either of us fully understood how big.on the 30th, there was a big  dance party at the grassmarket (mum and dad, near the last drop and the oink shop), with the highlight being a bollywood extravaganza, with fireworks and really loud, but surprisingly addictive indian music, we danced our way home from there.

on the 31st we celebrated two new years. first off, we celebrated in australian style at the aussie walkabout bar. the place was packed (they werent letting anymore people in after lunch), cuz there were so many people and a few drinks and watching the fireworks on tv and then dancing for a while, the bright sunlight outside was a shock and reminded myself that we still had another new years to celebrate!

spent the arvo relaxing, and layering on the clothes for the night.the street party covered a huge area, there were 3 stages, 7 bars, massive number of port-o-loos, 2 huge screens, ridiculous amount of cops, a few drunken teens that got booted out..bahahahaha,youth of today..tsk tsk. The streets were packed by 11, and it was said there were around 100,000 street party tickets sold..it was massive and had a really good party vibe to it, met some nice irish folk and there were a ridiculous number of aussies too...im pretty sure i spotted someone from my year at mt lilydale too..its a small world after all, its a small small world.

the fireworks were huge and were fired off from the top of the castle. the weather was perfect so there was no wind or rain, just a bloody cold..we left the street party and went back to the pub for a night cap..

today we slept in, and then walked down to arthurs seat. there is a walk up a hill, and then the view is amazing of the city. i remember mum and dad doing the walk....u never said it was ridiculous!!!any alcohol that was left in my system was sweated out...eew. the view was amazing though.

tomorrow were going back to pitlochry late in the arvo, so tomorrow morning were going out rosslyn church (the beautifully carved church fromt he da vinci code).

there are some photos up on the blog as well.

love to all, enjoy the summer sun and the holidays.

j and danxoxo

Comments

1

Happy New Year Jess and Dan looks like you had a great time and how lucky to celebrate two new years. The fire works over Edinburgh castle would have been so pretty.
Did I forget to mention how steep the walk to Arthurs Seat was, gee sorry. The view was worth it though; thats what we kept telling ourselves as we struggled up that last little bit almost on our hands and knees!!!! Dad agreed that it is a great cure for a hangover.
We had a lovely new year although it was a lot quieter than yours. I have woken up feeling a lot better today and no my sickness yesterday wasnt caused by alcohol. Not much planned for today i still feel a little fragile. Bec is driving the manual to Vicroads to renew her boat license, her manual skills are coming along very nicely.We are going to Rye tomorrow to test the new boat, hopely the weather will have improved by then; expecting only 20 today!!!!
Have a safe trip back to Pitlochry, take lots of photos of the church as that was one place we didnt have time to visit.
Love to you both, love mum, dad, luke and bec xxxxooooo

  mandy hetherington Jan 2, 2009 7:52 AM

2

Hi Jess and Dan you must have had a great time loved reading about it the photos were good too was the cyder scrumpy ? your Dad brought me some hometo try did not know Edinburgh had an Arthers seat must have been warm up there for you took off your coat scarf and hat all our love to you Jess and Dan val and mick xoxox

  val and mick Jan 2, 2009 3:35 PM

3

Hi Jess and Dan glad you had such a great time for New Years. We actually saw the Edinburgh fireworks on the TV the other night and they looked great. All the photos were good too. We have just got back from Rye. It was really busy down there so we decided to head home early as Ken goes back to work tomorrow. Keep well. All the best for the year ahead. All our love.Bassos

  Bassos Jan 4, 2009 1:26 PM

4

Hi Jess & Dan
Happy Belated New Year!! I am just back to work and only access this at work! Sounds like you had a great time! We also had fun at Port Stephens and spent New Years at Nelson Bay with amazing Fireworks as well. We had great weather and am sporting a nice tan! Enjoyed the break with the boat and skis. We camped with Ferns family (Missys Basketball friend) They had their niece with them Rana 22 who comes from Scotland actually Perth not far from you!! Small world! She was lots of fun. I am off to the tennis this Wed and then Thurs with Gai and mum. Looking forward to it. Its hot here today 36! Mum Dad and Bec came up for dinner last night and Bec bought a drink you enjoy over there like Creamy Soda she found it in Coles! Enjoy your time before the busy season and look forward to hearing about more adventures!
Luv Sue & Co
xxxxxxxxxxxx

  Sue Batten Jan 19, 2009 11:04 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.