Existing Member?

THE AMAZING ADVENTURES OF JESS & DAN back on the road again...

the great black forest cake search...

GERMANY | Monday, 26 May 2008 | Views [1500] | Comments [5]

in case anybody didnt realise i love black forest cake...its probable my favourite cake..ever.so when i knew we had planned to come to germany, i definately wanted to have black forest cake..however im pretty sure everything is against me having just one piece of blackforest cake..everything...and im starting to get a little upset..it all began....

Dans great uncle suggested we take a cruise to the black forest area..in german schwarzwald...i thought it would be the perfect chance for black forest cake at the home of black forest cake..the black forest are is beautiful, massive hills covered in pinetrees with small towns at the foot of the hills with little rivers running through, very pretty.

We visited a clock musuem..i have never seen so many clocks in my entire life!then heading for lunch at the glass blowing factory..the glass blowing is gorgeous and they had some really pretty things. Was planning black forest cake for after lunch, only to find they didnt have cake only black forest sundaes...nooo...not the same thing!so i waited, and maybe thought i would have the chance for cake later....---

the day with dans uncle began at 7am, and ended at 8.30pm, i think we spent roughly 6 hours of the day in the car..prob because we took the wrong turn and ended up in switzerland!anyway, 6 hrs in the car is a long time to think about how good black forest cake is....

day was coming to an end, and we were finishing the day at a museum of traditional german houses, kinda a recreation of old germany from 1600ish. To get to the town we walked past some cafes...and one of the cafes broke the world record for the biggest black forest cake ever!..and there was a small version that looked sooo good!..but because the museum was closing soon we went there first and were going to get cake on the way back..i was so close, i even got a photo of me with the cake..just not eating the cake!

the museum was good, and it was interesting to imagine life back then.in the black forest area back in the day, girls who were not married had to wear a straw hat covered in red pompoms the size of canteloupes on their heads...definately going to attract a husband with pompoms on ur head....

We were kicked out of the farm because it was clsing..and so was the cafe!!nooo, we thought as a last result that a small cafe on the way home would def have cake...but no because i am doomed to have no cake..of course the cafe had no black forest cake!what kind of cafe in the black forest has no black forest cake!!!

the day ended with no cake.

We have spent two nights in bonn..the former capital of germany..its a really nice city, kinda small but heaps to do. Dom has been great showing us arund the city and taking us places..even to his friends bday party, however we gave her bad luck because we said happy birthday before her actual bday..oops, in germany they dont say happy bday unless its their actual birthday...

and of course i was still on the lookout for black forest cake..but guess what..whereever we stopped and looked they had no cake!even the restuarant that had black forest cake didnt have cake!!!

We visited a german history museum, although all the explanantions were in german it was a really interactive museum with heaps to see and we had our own personal guide..dom!yay, learnt alot of german history in a couple of hours.

Ended the day at the park in bonn, the parks are beautiful in germany partly because they are so green!went to a maze that dom said took them half an hour last time they did it..i laughed stupidly at how long it took them to do one simple maze!mazes are easy...arent they...noooo...dit was only a small maze divided with yellow plastic and poles, and only the size of a tennis court..however it took forever!dan got their first cz he cheated and got directions..and of course because i had laughed at how long it took dom, i was the last one to reach the middle..it took half an hour!!

we are leaving bonn today to catch the train to cologne for 2 nights and then 3 nights in bruges, belgium...

im afraid our trip to germany will end with no black forest cake....im pretty sure i was doomed to never have true black forest cake..damn ill just have more belgium waffles and chocolate instead!

love to all

love jess

p.s. banana beer tastes like mashed banana gone off

Comments

1

Jess, I promise that mum,(oma in Lilydale) will make you one(huge Blackforest Cherry cake) when you get back......she bakes the best. I hope oma in Lilydale reads this. But not sure how it goes with beer???
Love tina

  TINA May 27, 2008 1:19 PM

2

Oh why did you not pack me in your suitcase - would love to have been your guide through Germany. Oh Well!!

Lol at black forrest cake affair - and im taking tinas offer up for black forrest cake - yummm. Speaking of which might go down to Allens bakery and having cake!

So why you guys are having the times of your life in Europe - i will be drowning my sorrows of not being there with you by eating more cake!!!

B!

P.S Enjoy Köln and Belgium!

  Brenton May 27, 2008 3:46 PM

3

Dearest Jess, I wish I could bake you a black forest cake to make up for your dissapointment, yet that would mean that you would have to come home...do we ahve a deal then?...Sounds like you are having a ball apart from the 6 hours in the car, guess it give you time to really tackle life's big issues though!
Love to you...and the crew. (im a poet and i dont even know it!!!)
ness

  Ness May 27, 2008 5:00 PM

4

Dear Jess what a great way to start my day by having a good laugh at your blog. After reading so much about your craving for black forest cake I was dying for some 2 so i was very tempted to go out and buy a piece but I resisted. Maybe Ill have one for my birthday cake. I'm with Brenton, hope you share the cake Oma bakes for you - sounds delicious. Hope you find black forest cake soon!!!! lots and lots of love mum xxxxxoooooo

  mum May 27, 2008 10:23 PM

5

well fancy noooo cake to be found but i can guarentee oma,s cake, have tasted it and its great,i am sure we can all be there,lol sounds like you are all having a ball, wish i was there too,i know some people that come from koln well that it for now all my love NAN xxxxx

  nan May 28, 2008 2:53 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.