Existing Member?

THE AMAZING ADVENTURES OF JESS & DAN back on the road again...

2 days in poland..

POLAND | Sunday, 11 May 2008 | Views [882] | Comments [4]

today and yesterday have been very busy, with both days including day trips out of poland. 

Yesterday we spent the morning relaxing and wandering around the town, also spent some time at the hostel talking to others staying here, met some french people who we swapped emails with us and said we could stay with them, people are so nice to strangers in europe.

We visited the Wieliczka (pronounced vilishka) salt mines, about 30mins out of krakow. We walked the 600 stairs to the tunnels below, where it is all airconditioned but still a little cool. Out tour guide took us around the tunnels for 2.5hours, and we still only saw 1 percent of the total 300km of tunnels in the mine. I didnt know too much about the salt mines, but i imagines white walls...wrong..some of the salt is a white-ish or pink-ish colour however most of it is a mottled greeny black colour, it makes really smooth walls that kind of shimmer in the light. The tunnels are huge and nothing like the squeezing we did at the silver mine in kutna hora.

The salt mines still produce 500-600 tonnes of salt a day, however this is mainly to ensure the stability of the mine, which is listed on the UNESCO cultural and natural world heritage list. People use to work in the mines, and there were also horses who lived permanently underground, to pull the salt up. The salt mines are amazing not because of the tunnels, but because of the carved chapels, halls and sculptures. There is an amazing cathedral over 100 metres underground, totally carved from salt, even the chandeliers. The walls are covered in carvings, including a version of the davinci last supper. 

The lowest point of the tunnel we visited was 130m and so quiet is was a little eerie. From there we caught the lift back up, which travels 4m per second, in a tiny little cage with 9 people crammed and jammed in..i had a tiny little spanish nanna next to me who mumbled in spanish all the way up..the only part i understood was "ohhh myyy god"...

Last night was kinda quiet, met some people around the hostel and had an early night.

our bus for Auschwitz and Birkenau left at 8am, so breakfast was early. There are 3 camps around the auschwitz area, we visited two of them-auschwitz and birkenau. Birkenau is the largest, over 300 sq km, compared to the much smaller auschwitz camp. Auschwitz was originally built to house polish soldiers so the structures were alot more permanent and sturdy..and warmer then the wooden structures that were built as a concentration camp. However birkenau was largely destroyed to hide the evidence when the soviet union was close to liberating the area, all that remains are the hundreds of chimneys and the railway line.

Our tour guide was amazing and definately gave us an insight into all aspects of life in europe during WW2 and of life in the concentration camps.

The 6 hours we spent at the two camps were confronting and really sad to imagine what humans are capable of doing to fellow humans. One of the museums in the old housing structures read

"If we do not learn from history we are bound to repeat it".

Tomorrow we are catching the train to berlin, germany. Train leaves at 7.30am and arrives in berlin at 5.30pm..and thats the express train..its going to be a long day.

love to all, and i hope all mothers had a very nice mothers day..sorry our calls were so late.

Love jess xoxoxooxox

Comments

1

Hi darl, you had a very busy time inKrakow!!!!I thought you would remebering what Brenton daid when he was there. We had a nice day yesterday -mothers day, went to Mont Delancey for lunch with everyone, day was nice earlier but a bit cloudy arfo, spent some time looking around. Saw Brenton he's quite excited that he may get an opportunity to come to Germany again at the end of the year and hopes to see you, he says you might stay in Germany a bit. G'pa says he thinks he made a boo boo he meant we hadn't see ' Ernie' lately hope he hasn't got lost in Europe somewhere, hope he has an ID. Keep enjoying yourselves take care, luv g'ma

  val and mick May 12, 2008 9:16 AM

2

hi kids, just caught up with your trip in poland , sounds like you are all having a great time, Dan whats with reading could notmum and i walked all over eastland looking for a good price, hope you enjoy the chocs, i went up to mt evelyn for 5 days was lovely break . well thats it for now love Nan xxxx

  nan white May 13, 2008 4:42 PM

3

Glad you had a good time in Poland; salt mines sound amazing and Auschwitz will be a place you never forget and hopefully the rest of mankind won't either. Sue is nearly home (in 2 hours). She has had a ball; she loved Venice. Enjoy Germany especially you Dan as you meet so many relatives. Should be lovely for you all. Keep having a great time. Love from us all and all the animals (darcy is curled up in front of the fire of course) Love mum, dad, luke and bec xxxxxxooooooo

  mum May 13, 2008 10:10 PM

4

Hello from Texas!

Sounds like you all are having a wonderful time. I am planning to go to Poland with my daughter around the middle of May 2009.

My grandmother's surname is Gorka. There is a Gorka Castle that was owned by the Gorka Family in the early 1400's in Kornic Poland. This is our first visit to Europe and we need some pointers, tips, any advise u might have on getting around in Poland. We are not interested in Auswitzh. Only Posnan (as that is where my relatives lived before some came to the United States.

Hope you have a great time during the rest of your trip.

  Delores May 17, 2008 1:18 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Poland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.