Existing Member?

Our world Travel On 10th May 2007 I fled the UK on a journey around the world with a long list of places to go. Got as far as the Philippines where I met my wife. We got married on 11th May 2010 and are now sharing the experiences of travelling the world together

Hong Kong & Macau March 2010...50th Birthday celebration

PHILIPPINES | Sunday, 21 March 2010 | Views [2954]

Sat 6th Mar – As we were going to be on the move early tomorrow and it wa my birthday, we had a small birthday gathering at the house with some friends of Shiera’s and her parents and sister Kaye. They had bought me a birthday cake, which was sweet of them. Filipino birthday cakes aren't the same as we have....say no more...

Shiera decorated the bed with Happy 50 Birthday in flowers. So pretty and touching.

Sun 7th Mar - Today is my 50th birthday, and in celebration of this landmark event we are going to Disneyland in Hong Kong and spending some further time in Hong Kong and Macau afterwards.

Shiera whisked around the house like a magic fairy cleaning everything before we left. Time for me to communicate back to the UK and with friends in other countries.

Backpacks lighter than ever before seeing as we don't need much and at 11am we were off to the airport. Sunday is good for getting to Manila as the traffic is much less than normal, so we arrived at the airport in record time with hours to kill before check-in opened.

Most past visits to this airport have been later in the day and really busy. Today seemed fairly quiet and laid back. Got through check-in quick. Filipino departure tax is 1,620 pesos as usual, plus 750 pesos per head 'Airport users charge' and then a long wait at the departure gate before the Cebupacific flight 5J118 departed at 16:40.

Arriving at Hong Kong airport is an event in itself as you take a high speed shuttle train from the arrival area to the main baggage claim and passport control area. At the airport information desk it seemed the most sensible option to take a taxi to Disneyland rather than go by public transport, working out cheaper. Got to the Disneyland hotel in good time and wow…fantastic place. Immaculate reception staff and check-in process. Were in our room in quick speed and ….. wow again….Mickey mouse has left me a birthday card and a cake made from rolled towel and coloured pipe-cleaner decoration…how Disney, and how sweet was that. Loads of goodies for us to keep as souvenirs. Shiera was whizzing around collecting everything she could…so funny!

The evening was cold as we had dropped in temperature to less than 20 degrees C. Was 32 degrees in the Philippines. Brrrr… We had to wrap up in everything we had to go out for a walk and see everything lit up at night. A gorgeous Indian dinner in the Disneyland hotel restaurant….a perfect way to celebrate being 50 ….. Being a kid again !!!

 

Monday 8th March – First day in Disneyland and the deal I had got gave us an extra day for free as I had booked the stay at the Disneyland hotel. Really cold day with some rain, but that didn’t deter us from having plenty of fun on the rides. This place isn’t as big as the LA or Euro Disney resorts, but it is fun nonetheless.

Tuesday 9th March – Had another day in the park.

Wednesday 10th March - Indian breakfast at Chungking mansion. Being Indian central, it is crammed with good cheap eateries serving authentic Indian budget meals. Aahhh....my favourite start to the day!

We were aiming to Hong Kong Island Star ferry terminal when we got waylaid by a ouple of sales guys offering a look around the Gold coast resort with free transport. I know this is a form of scam and have tried such things before, so knew what to expect and wasn't going to be sucked into it. It was worth a look around though, so took up the offer. A free taxi ride out to the resort and a chance to see another part of Hong Kong free of charge. the 'Gold coast' resort was being run by 'Absolute Vacation club' and was a pleasant place with a pristine manicured man-made gold sand beach. If or when a typhoon strikes they just import new sand to replace any that gets washed away. The condos themselves are all very clean and organized and the Gold coast mall is nice enough. We also came away with a free bottle of red wine and a free shuttle bus back to town. A worthwhile few hours spent.

To carry on with our original plan....Star ferry to Central for 2 HKD. The Star ferry is an integral part of the Hong Kong experience. running like buses and efficient, they are have been around since the 1800's and Hong Kong's heyday. A lovely experience and a nice way to see the Victoria harbor. On reaching the Bottom ascent to the Peak you arrive at the Peak tram terminal building, where there is an inevitable queue. The building also houses a Madame Tussauds wax museum. You can buy tickets at the bottom or at the top where it is located.

As with any tourist attraction, the Peak isn’t just a nice place to take photographs, it is also a shopping mall. They seem to squeeze these places in everywhere they can. I get a bit tired of shops getting in the way of enjoying the places we visit. Seems as though they want every opportunity to squeeze every last dollar they can out of you. The highlight of the visit to the top is the Peak terrace, where you get a magnificent view of Hong Kong and Victoria harbor. Today wasn’t that great a view as it was very hazy and much of it disappeared into the haze. It was good enough for a nice view though. Shiera was armed with tripod and we managed to stage some great shots of us both between the crowds trying to vie for their own bit of space.

Down at the bottom and another one of Hong Kong’s landmark place, the Mid-levels Escalator. Described as the longest in the world and placed in the Guinness book of records as a result, it is an interesting way to climb back up the hill. The problem is that the elevator is only one way…up! And you have to use the stairs to get back down again. Having already been up today, we only went part way before returning back down to low levels.

As a random change of plan we got a Tram along to Causeway bay area, and were talking to a local businessman on the tram. He suggested we went to the races this evening as they were on twice a week and we could make it in time. So we decided to stay on the tram to the Happy Valley Racecourse. You only pay a flat fee of 2 HKD on the tram, so it doesn’t matter where you get off. The tourist entrance fee to the stadium is 10 HKD. We were in time for the 8pm race and dinner from the central kitchen washed down with some Hot punch. This race course is awesome. The location, set amidst high-rise apartment blocks and lit up like a Christmas tree, it is a must experience on the tourist circuit here. Even if you don't bet, it is a cheap visit for an hour or so.

Star ferry back to Tsim Sha Tsui terminal

Thursday 11th March - Kowloon park, Mong Kok markets all day. Bought my wedding outfit! A Chinese two-piece thing. Really sophisticated looking. Shiera has no idea what she will wear yet.

Friday 12th March - Off to the infamous Stanley market. Star ferry 2HKD to Central then Bus 260 for 10.30 HKD from Exchange square. To be honest, there is nothing in the market that you cannot buy heaper elsewhere. It is nice, but nothing exclusive to here.

The Murray centre across the bay was moved from its original location, and is mainly high quality restaurants. The nearby Mall was superb. The range and quality of food was amazing.

Back to Central on Bus then TST for a break and then more shopping for Shiera’s wedding dress in Kimberley street. Didn’t buy anything as the prices are quite high and most offer rental as a result, which is of no use to us.

Sat 13th March - Ocean park all day. 250 HKD entry. A day of adrenalin rides and plenty of opportunity to aggravate the blisters through walking. The great thing about this place is the escalators and cable car to get between the areas.

Back at the hostel and a great meal at the chaotic, but superb 'Taj Mahal' Indian restaurant on 3rd floor of Chungking mansion. Lift B. Permanently on the go running around, this is not a place to relax but the food is worth it.

Sun 14th March - Off to Macau for a couple of days. The China Ferry terminal on Canton road. First Ferry 9:30am departure for 150 HKD. Comfortable leather bucket seats and TV. Arrived in Macau at 10:50am and passed through passport control in excellent time. Taxi from outside of the building to the 'Ole London Hotel' for 40HKD. Without wasting much time we set out on a major walk around Macau. There is an advantage to having been somewhere before and why i chose the Ole London as being in a good location for getting to all the main sites. The historical trail runs noth/south from St Paul’s ruins etc and down to the A-ma temple area and Macau tower.

Mon 15th March - Took bus 26A to Taipa village (4.6 HKD) from the Central plaza. Tapia is a mixture of the pretty village adjacent to the overpowering and towering gambling cities. The latest addition is the 'City of Dreams', which we visited later in the day. Firstly, getting off the bus shortly past the Taipa best western is a good place to start the Portuguese trail. Olde worlde buildings and street lighting make it a lovely place to while away a couple of hours. The restored old village makes a great photo setting.

Next on the agenda is an inevitable visit to the 'Venetian' hotel complex. An identical copy of that in Las Vegas, it is a rambling complex of casinos, shops and the wonderful indoors Grand canal and Gondolas, resplendent with singing Gondoliers. Having been here before and the one in Las Vegas too, this is a highlight of the visit, and a wow factor for Shiera, having never seen anything like this in her life.

Lunch at the food court and decided to book tickets for tonight's show at the Zaia theatre. More on that later....

Saw the incredible and free 'Bubble' show at 'City of dreams', which is a surround cinema in a bubble dome. The beginning of the show is a water shower that displays patterns and Chinese text in water as it drops from the roof. This is followed by the most amazing Dragon's Treasure Chest film that surrounds you with superb graphics. Mesmerizing!

The finale of an awesome day was the Circ Du Soleil show at the Zaia theatre within the Venetian at 8pm (Row HH for 388 MOP/HKD each). There are many superlatives to explain this show...but simply...Wow...will suffice for now. 90 minutes of acrobatics and showmanship above, in front and all around...it doesn't really matter where you sit. Trampoline, aerial acrobatics, fire, the works....wow!

The evening was misty, so not good for clear photos, but it did add a different quality in this amazing setting.

Tue 16th March - Return to Hong Kong. Bus 3A is one of the buses going to the ferry terminal from the central plaza costing 3.20HKD. No change given so yu have to have the right money. As usual, nobody had change so we had breakfast first to get money for the bus.

Arriving back at the ferry terminal is a bit strange as the bus goes past the area fronting the Sands casino complex. When i was here last time it seemed empty and it was peak season. Now it seemed dead. Grey and miserable weather today. Most people seem to frequent the western side of the town where the historical sites are. Not many seem to venture over here other than the enter or leave.

The First ferry terminal to Kowloon was as efficient as ever and we were through to the waiting area in a matter of minutes, including passport control. 140 HKD for the 2hour trip on a bumpy and unappetizing mushy grey South China sea.

Back in Kowloon and the equally unappetizing Chungking mansions, one of the aspects of Hong kong that makes me think twice about coming again. Wanted to try somewhere different than previous, which means an agonizing search using lifts that are out of date and cannot handle more than 5 people at a time and are regularly that full of goods you cannot get in them for ages. The accommodation is painfully small and hard to search easily without wanting to pull your teeth out through your anus for relief. Ended up at the Dragon Inn on level 3. Run by a local couple who's claim to fame is a meeting with the ex governor of Hong Kong Christopher Patten before it got handed back to the Chinese. 220HKD for 1 night with hot shower, TV, free cable internet and a really hard bed. The alternative in Hong Kong is to pay upto 10 times the price for little more facilities but a lot more style.

Settled in and then out for some pre departure shopping. Bought a new compact camera and some clothes, then got tired and lost the will to shop any more before i slit my throat, so gave up and retired back to the cell for the rest of the evening.

Wed 17th March - Return to the Philippines today, flying at 10:40am aboard Cebupacific 5J111. Got bus A21 from Nathan road for 33HKD that run about every 10 to 15 minutes. An interesting ride as it weaves its way for about 45 minutes through one high-rise area after another. This vertical world is a sight to behold as concrete developments reach for the sky in improbable locations and reaching improbable heights.

A sea of container yards mounded high with thousands of multi-coloured containers. The logistics of tracking and managing this lots must be horrendous. I often think that a place like Hong Kong is a nightmare in support industries. Imagine how much food has to be shipped in each day just to feed the fluctuating population. The logistics of moving that around and selling it whilst it is still fresh. The transport network required for it, and to keep its residents on the move as efficiently as possible. What happens to the incredible volume of waste that results from that! Also think about how much water is required by all those people. The volume used each day must be amazing. Where does it come from? Meanwhile, tourists want to get around and see the interesting highlights and have to be catered for by the special services networks. Hotels, guest houses etc are squirreled away in abundance. Hong Kong is a shopper’s paradise with its main claim to fame being fake goods. Walking the street is a testament to that....the amount of times we are approached for 'Fake Watches', Tailor made suits, rooms, technical goods etc. If the shops aren't enough to envelop you in a claustrophobic world, then the street touts are there to suck you in. I do find Hong Kong a fascinating mixture, although after a few days i have had enough and need to escape to a wide open space to breath. Linking some of the major islands such as the mainland to Lantau, are superb suspension bridges that must have taken many years to build, and are a credit to the engineering skills of the companies who built them.

The weather leaving HK was cool and cloudy and the promise of returning to temperatures in the 30's was welcome.

Arrived in Manila at 12:25 and 33 Degrees C. No need for coats anymore!

Outside the arrivals there is now a bus that runs to Baclaran or LRT/MRT for 20 pesos per head and leaves every 15 minutes. Nice an comfortable way to get to the onward buses instead of paying upto 10 times the cost in a taxi. Back home after a hectic adventurous trip and a long list of things to do….more on that next time.

 

About jeffbrad


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.