Existing Member?

Our world Travel On 10th May 2007 I fled the UK on a journey around the world with a long list of places to go. Got as far as the Philippines where I met my wife. We got married on 11th May 2010 and are now sharing the experiences of travelling the world together

Silang Festa Feb 1-3 2010

PHILIPPINES | Thursday, 4 February 2010 | Views [821]

For the second year running I am in Silang for the Annual Fiesta. Not to be be confused with other fiestas at harvest time, this one is very much a religious festival based on Santo Nino. The first day isn't really much; more a preparation day, with the procession bands doing some rehearsals in the streets. The market stalls are in great abundance sandwiched in every little space they can find.

Being that the fiesta is on Monday to Wednesday means that many are working during the day, so activities only begin later in the day. Like last year, the street parade is random, so standing in one place doesn't necessary guarantee seeing all of the groups, so we wandered around a bit. It was a hot day and so a few hours was enough before we gave in and took a break. They stop for lunch anyway between around noon and 1pm. I feel sorry for them as they are dressed in thick clothing and must be baked.

On the 3rd Feb, the highlight was the 'Karakol'; the street dancing which involves about 100 groups ranging from old ladies through to youth groups, most in traditional dress. A colourful parade that goes on for hours. We started near to where the police were diverting traffic past the central market area. The guys, in their bright yellow uniform, were fun and had a nice time chatting with a few of them.

In the evening a stage had been erected in the plaza for a concert sponsored by San Miguel beer. We managed to get a spot in the VIP area right in front of the stage....an advantage of being a foreigner with a camera! Shiera got involved in a competition, but didn't wkin anything; we did get on camera though as I was interviewed by the compere and we were both filmed. Not sure what happens to the video? We were applauded by the crowd as we had to kiss for the camera!

The acts were good...some pretty girl bands with sexy costumes and some boy bands...Truefaith, Cueshé, plus the actress Angelica Jones and other soloists. Didn't finish until around 1am, and a really good show.

We had Shiera's sister Kaye with us and had to walk her home. On the way, we happened on another show....typical of the Philipines....a 'Gay' show. The local gays were dressed up in ball gowns for the final stages of the contest. They had already had the swimwear section before we arrived. I must admit that I have no interest in this type of show. The girls find it fun though as they know many of the contestants, who are local hairdressers or work in the stores. Most are very tall, which also sets them aside from the 'normal' Filipinos.

The day after the Fiesta things quieten down. We invited Shiera's parents around for a chat as we hadn't had the opportunity for a while. Nice to catch up as they are always busy in their market stall.

 

 

About jeffbrad


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.