Existing Member?

Our world Travel On 10th May 2007 I fled the UK on a journey around the world with a long list of places to go. Got as far as the Philippines where I met my wife. We got married on 11th May 2010 and are now sharing the experiences of travelling the world together

Chiang Mai

THAILAND | Friday, 29 August 2008 | Views [1003] | Comments [1]

This isn't my normal presentation for a blog but all will become clear as it hasn't been a normal time...

Time seems to have slowed down a bit and enjoying it. Been on the move too much but knew that would be the case whilst going through Japan and China.

Last night was even worse with my shoulder and hardly slept, couldn’t get comfortable and it got to the stage when I was in so much pain that it drove me to tears L and had to do something about it. So this morning went to the incredible Chiang Mai Ram hospital, which is just outside of the old city on the north western side. Everyone knows where it is.

Information desk at the entry was immediately helpful and pointed me to the main Information and check-in desk area. Within a matter of a couple of minutes my details were on the system and pointed towards the orthopedic section to see a doctor. Blood pressure taken…slightly worrying as I used to be 142/90’ish and their reading was 176/94, so not good but explainable by the stress of the pain I was in. Fortunately, this was re-taken later and had dropped to 150/92 so that was a relief and would drop even lower after the treatment. Ended up requiring x-rays and that showed quite clearly what the problem was. The joint between my shoulder and the arm socket has calcification in the tissue which affects the nervous system in that area. My shoulder is swollen behind the trouble spot and it all presses together to cause extreme pain. The short term treatment is to get rid of the swelling with a cortisone injection in the muscle tissue supplemented by pain killers and analgesics and rest of my arm. In three days time or so, if it hasn’t improved then I need to go back for another injection, this time directly into the calcified tissue area. The doctor didn’t want to do it this time as it would have hurt too much. If that doesn’t work then it would require keyhole surgery to remove the affected tissue. Will have to judge this as I go along. What was amazing was the superb efficiency of this hospital. Immaculate and elegant staff, first class service. The whole lot..consultation, x-rays, plenty of medical supplies and a sling, cost 2,200 Baht. I have an ID card for any subsequent visits within Thailand and also can collect my x-rays for shipping to the uk at anytime or have them posted.

My friend Victoria has been great throughout the past few days, couldn’t have had better support. Victoria is off on a 3-day meditation and Buddhism learning course so I will have a few days of rest and relaxation on my own to see how I recover with the medication.

Later in the evening went out for a walkabout and a meal. There are so many places to eat and drink here that you could go somewhere different every night for at least a year! It is a place I feel so relaxed in. Even though I shouldn’t have done it I played pool for a bit in one of the bars. I think the pain-killers work and the exercise should hopefully work at helping sort the problem. Will see in the morning when the tablets have work off!

What I am also enjoying whilst I have a breather is catching up with friends. It is surprisingly difficult at times to do all of those things you mean to do and never get around to. Luckily I have many wonderful friends who are all dear to me, and need this catch-up period. The fact that I have decided to spend a long time in Thailand means that I am in no hurry to run around and see stuff now…it’s not going anywhere, so there will be plenty of time. More important to re-charge!

Thought the pain in my shoulder would have subsided after a couple of days, but it didn’t and if anything got worse. I had to go back to hospital and this time have an injection straight into the tissue in my shoulder. With that and plenty of painkillers and anti-inflammatory tablets, I expected something would start to improve soon. After a few more days not much change though. All I can do is take it easy and see what happens.

On Friday (29th Aug), I felt like getting out so we went up to Doi Suthep high on the hill above the city. The tuk-tuk up there normally costs 50 Baht each way, but at this time of year there aren’t as many people going, so we had to pay a bit more. It is a superb temple and a grand view of the surrounding valley. The climb to get there is a terrific winding road which is superb on a motorbike. When I was here in January I hired a bike and no sooner as I had, the heavens opened and threw its contents on me and then turned freezing cold. I still set off up the hill but had to abandon three quarters of the way up as I was wet and cold. Today however, the weather was superb and with a lovely blue sky. There was an option to get a cable-car from the tuk-tuk drop-off point to the top which we took for 20 Baht, but it really doesn’t save you much as the stairs aren’t that bad. The view from the balcony area is excellent and there is a clear view of the airport too. Spent an hour and a half looking around which was enough. The main gold stupa is currently undergoing some work and is covered in scaffolding but it doesn’t detract from its stunning quality.

Back down into town later and the sky opened again. It seems a common feature of this place at the moment. Not worth making any fixed plans when the weather is unstable.

Will do a more detailed update soon when I know what is going on with my shoulder...Bye for now.

 

Comments

1

sorry about shoulderi had that mine lasted ayear had 2 stop putting bags on shoulder so i know u must b in pain things ok this end mum fine she coooking maisarca 4 tea 4 me sheila `we have been taking her out 4 tea but not when doing ar faver food take care love dot

  dot Sep 3, 2008 8:24 PM

About jeffbrad


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.