Existing Member?

Rollin' to Croatia on a bike

4) The D-day(s)

SWITZERLAND | Saturday, 5 September 2015 | Views [299]

Prelude: I first wanted to write this journal day by day all along the trip. Then I thought that every 3 days would be a better frequency. Or even once a week.

Finally I had absolutely no opportunity to update the website, lacking computers and time... But especially computers. I didn't find a single internet café in Switzerland, nor in Austria and not even in Croatia. Bad luck? I don't think so. At the wifi era, having his own Laptop has become so obvious that it seems internet café have all shut down. But willing to complete this blog, I am going to memorise as much as I can the points I'd like to share with you. 

.

1st August: A national day for Switzerland, commemorating the unification pact of 1291 between the cantons... 724 years later on this exact same date, two young men rediscover this folkloric event from a two-wheels perspective. Villages after villages (not daring to use the word "cities" here), we observe the traditionnal costumes, smell the grilled sausage and melted cheese, listen to the cor des Alps music... and of course keep pedalling towards our destination: Sion (100-ish km away from Morges).

 

While passing through those places in celebration, despite not being able to find any sort of identification in this national event, I enjoy being in this dynamic environment. I see it as a funny mix between local conventionnal swiss probably not speaking more than 2 words of english and tourist from all around the world wondering what real swiss cheese tastes like.

.

The week before, after the training that ended up as a survivor's challenge in wet and cold, I went shopping for some proper wetsuit... A chance because we didn't have to wait long for the rain...

.

Well... Here was the first step to a whole bunch of SWAG attempts. A big thanks to Coop for being a reliable source of waterproof plastic bags along the way!

 .

To avoid an indigestions of sandwiches, we balanced the lunch sandwich-menu with a warm meal each evening. This is what a classic meal looked like... Pasta, cheese and pesto sauce.

Everyday's MENU:

Morning breakfast (6 am): Whole Müesli + slices of banana + grapes + fruit juice (no milk as it is more complicated to conserve without a fridge and it's also harder to digest) = Full power for the day

Snack break (9.30 am): Energy bars (farmers, balisto)

Lunch (1 pm): Homemade sandwiches for example... Bursins cheese + slice of cucumber + Tuna + slice of tomato = Yum yum

Evening (7.30 pm): Hot meals + beer (s) = ZZZzzzzzzz.......

.

 

About jeanraphael


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Switzerland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.