Existing Member?

Unravel, Anchor, Repeat Volunteering in Nepal; Taking A Break From Life

Updating Updating

NEPAL | Friday, 7 January 2011 | Views [406]

Due to the difficulty of typing fast on these elderly keyboards and the slow internet, I haven't updated as frequently as I hoped. I can't wait until my laptop is fixed and I can type as much as I want. 


Not too interesting for the past two weeks or so since I last blogged. I am closer with the children and they are speaking in English more frequently around me. I have a couple of things planned for us in the upcoming weeks. One is the celebration of my birthday ta-la. I am taking the older kids to the zoo and a big birthday cake on the day for everyone. There is nowhere else I'd rather be for my 22 than at the orphanage with these 'wonderful' kids. Apparently they didn't know the word 'wonderful' until we were watching Ben 10 last night. Last night was really wonder-ful. We watched television and everyone were all snuggled up together. At one point, I had three kids lying on me.

The kids' 15 day vacation is coming up. I am going to take them on a field trip. I will be cooking a few more dinners for them before I leave. One will be the classic American pasta with tomato sauce and garlic bread. The other will be ... hmmm. Hari took me to the supermarket recently, this huge supermarket with everything I could ever need. Definitely lots of options. The kids are always very happy when I cook and they eat it all, always but do I trust the taste buds of a bunch of kids who would eat anything with ketchup and sugar? Not so much.


I will be leaving for Pokhara shortly after my birthday for two or three weeks. I will visit an orphanage near there, bike and ride a horse, take a boat out, walk around, breathe some fresh air. Oh my god, fresh air.

And when I come back, I will have about two months left, maybe one and a half where I would like to teach English at their school. I have some serious math to do for the field trip. I will make it happen, but...I am anxious about the dwindling funds.

Also I promised to take the two older girls to the hair salon. I am also debating about dying my hair a dark red, again, but a serious red this time, not just a shiny hint of red. I am back in Thamel, desperately needing a hot shower, just waiting for my room. No problem, no problem. The kids love that phrase.

About jealanka


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.