Existing Member?

Jamie's Global Adventures

Ban Konglor - 7km of Caving Fun

THAILAND | Wednesday, 28 January 2009 | Views [814]

The kids of Ban Konglor

The kids of Ban Konglor

Caves have never been a major interest of mine, but thanks to Sebastian, I’m starting to see them in a whole new light (or lack thereof). Our next destination, Ban Konglor is home to one of the most spectacular limestone caves found in central Laos. Tham Kong Lo is over 7 kilometers long with a river running throughout. We hired a guide and his motorized canoe to explore the cave. It was a very odd sensation to be cruising along next to massive formations in almost complete darkness. One section of the cave was lit with power from the neighboring village. It reminded me of Carlsbad Caverns back in the States, but without all the safety regulations.

At the end of our 2-hour ride, we walked back to the village and inquired about a homestay. We were connected with a very hospitable family with two young kids. They took excellent care of us, providing two great meals and clean bedding, but we didn’t have much luck interacting with them on a personal level. We ate dinner separately and finished the night watching Thai soaps and football. 

Tags: caves, homestay, kids, kong lo

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.