Existing Member?

Jamie's Global Adventures

Mekong Delta - I Love Floating Fruit

VIETNAM | Tuesday, 17 March 2009 | Views [1427]

 Tra On Floating Market

Tra On Floating Market

With our trip quickly coming to an end, we needed a way to squeeze in a short visit to the Mekong Delta. It took some shopping around, but we managed to find a great two day tour that included a home-stay (Fantastic Tours). Two days certainly wasn’t enough to do the region justice, but it gave us a taste for life along one of the world’s largest river deltas.

Quick Highlights:

  • Boat Rides – What better way to see river life than on a boat cruising through the local channel and main waterways. We stopped a couple times to tour rice and brick factories.
  • Our Hosts – The people of Tra On Village were very welcoming. Sebastian had an amazing experience drinking with local farmers and I had a great evening listening to local music under the stars (or fireflies since it was cloudy). Dinner was superb – probably the best fresh spring rolls of the trip.
  • Motorbike Tour – We rented motorbikes and toured around the island path for a good hour. The place is incredibly lush with fruit trees, vegetable gardens, and rice everywhere you turn. Plus I got to learn all about teaching in Korea from one of our fellow home-stayers.
  • Floating Markets – We stopped at two floating markets on the morning of the second day (Tra On and Cai Rang). Boats are loaded with all sorts of fruits, vegetables, and enough living supplies to last a couple weeks on the river while selling ones crop. Most boats had a large bamboo pole attached that prominently displayed what was for sale.

Tags: boats, floating market, homestay

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.