Existing Member?

Asia Adventure

Waking up to Ho Chi Minh

VIETNAM | Monday, 2 February 2009 | Views [408]

I knew I`d like Ho Chi Minh even before I got off the bus. Arriving on the second day of the Lunar New Year, the city was like a ghost town, there wasn`t even the usual barrage of touts and moto drivers that normally greet you. Taking a walk along the main backpacker route to sus out accommodation I was tracked down by a guesthouse owner and after some quick barganing, from $12 to $7  I was settling into a really nice room hidden in a warren of side streets. I was happily surprised with the city, of course your never too sure what to call it but the locals seem to prefer Saigon. It was truly asian but modern, no MC D`s or Starbucks, and although the traffic was a bit hectic, nothing like Jakarta. The next day was pretty quite and there was`nt much happening but the city really woke up on the 3rd day with everyone back to work after TET which is their Christmas and New Year all rolled into one. The street stalls sprung up serving almost toxic local coffee, fresh baguettes and rice rolls, all for a dollar. The people greeting you with smiles all the time.

So having wandered the city for a few days it was off to the beach. And trying to save a buck I opted for a 9 hour train journey with wooden seats. The day passed quite quickly with the locals trying to teach me some lingo and at one stage haven woken from a brief nap I woke up to 5 smiling faces peering over me. So having arrived at Nha Trang on the coast I found my accommodation which was overbooked but they happilly gave me a room in a much better hotel so I was`nt complaining. Off to do a bit of snorkling tomorrow and then a bit of Island hopping.

 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.