Existing Member?

Asia Adventure

How to Fit 6 People in a Taxi & Charge $6 Each!

CAMBODIA | Wednesday, 14 January 2009 | Views [393]

My last few days in Laos dragged out a bit on the Four Thousands Islands, which for me were nothing special. While I enjoyed Laos it didn`t seem to have that magical effect that everyone talks about, I think its more of a case that people are afraid to say they didnt like it.(The main reason people end up staying is that they usually get sick on the first or second day which happened to about 6 different travellers I met) So I was glad to be passing through the Cambodia border on Monday. Which was really quite painless and no horror stories or bribes involved. It amazing how your plans can change  enroute, which is what happened as soon as I arrived in the town of Stung Treng. I realised that there really was not enough to warrent a nights stay so I had to find a way out, as all of the buses had already left.

Now I have had a taxi driver have a wet shave while I was stuck in traffic in the Philippines, but my taxi driver in Stung Treng had obviously much better training, for not only was he able to cram 3 of us in the back plus a Monk, he aslo fit 2 up the front and was able to enjoy an Iced Coffee , talk on his mobile and watch a dvd that he had perched on the dashboard all while driving. However thanks to a sleepless night due to some dubious accommodation and over eagerly Cocks crowing at 4a.m. I was soon fast asleep and slept most of the journey, so well in fact that I did not even belief the taxi driver when he said that we had reached our destination Kratie. Kratie is best known for its endangered Irawaddy Dolphins, which was a super way to spend the evening on the boat; and managed to see quite a few zipping across the river. Then an interesting moto ride through the countryside gave a good insight into Cambodian life. Next day was off to Phnom Penh, the capital, having finally reached my accommodation after a bit of a white knuckle moto ride.

(More Photos coming soon but the upload speeds are so slow !)

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.