Existing Member?

Asia Adventure

Time, Distance & a bag of Rice

PHILIPPINES | Saturday, 29 November 2008 | Views [440]

Its not that buses don`t travel on time in the Philippines,they don`t, its that even when you account for all of the delays, the random stops, the times when they dont bother stopping and everything else you begin to realise that even if you travelled on Concorde you still wouldn`t have reached your destination in the stated time. Thus after a very quick tour of the Chocolate Hills on the Island of Bohol yesterday after a 21/2 hour bus ride supposed to have lasted 1 hour I find myself riding shotgun on the last bus home on top of a bag of rice ! Not exactly the most comfortable journey of my travelling career.

This topped off a week of `ADVENTURE BUS RIDING IN THE PHILIIPPINES` fom Boracy last week all the way to the Capital Ilioli I had a nice air con bus, pity about the road, I was soon remembering my previous trip in Cuba. Afetr finally reaching our destination, I commented that I felt as if I had being on a Ryanair flight for the last 10 hours.

Well if that bus ride felt like I was on Ryanair, the next felt as if I spent the next 10 hours in the cargo hold. Managed to catch a bus to Dumaguete on the southern coast, the bus had natural air con( no windows) which wasnt really that much of a problem, for the first few hours, it was after that, that it became uncomfortable. The sight seeing was interesting and I pratically had a guided tour the whole way through from a local, who informewd me that I had picked the day of the National Fete to arrive, which was great to see but I didnt have any room reservations. Found a place called Harolds Mansion that luckily had a cancellation so bagged a dorm bed for a few days, had alook around the city, and organised the next bit of my trip.

 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.