Existing Member?

Asia Adventure

Polluted, Noisy, Smelly, Traffic , Hot , Wet & Humid.

INDONESIA | Monday, 10 November 2008 | Views [1376]

These are difinitely my lasting impressions of Jakarta. After an 18 hour day, 11 of which spent on 3 diferent planes and 4 time zones I finally arrived in Jakarta at midnight. I was glad I had redeemed some SPG Guest Points for a free nights stay at the nearby Sheraton Hotel. Picked up by the driver and I was in a nice comfortable bed 1/2 hour later. Next morning I was able to organise my flights to Pangkalan Bun at the hotel which was great. There is now a daily flight operated by Linus Airways. Spent the rest of the day relaxing by the pool. Ventured into the city later in the evening and it was an instant story of Riches to Rags as you can see in my pics. Although the Bloem Stein hostel i stayed in after that was a lot nicer and a great spot for meeting up with other travellers and enjoying a few cheap bintangs on the front garden.

The food was fantastic though, ate mostly at all of the street side fod stalls and had some super meals. Although its bit of a challenge eating a bowl of steaming hot rice and unpeeled prawns with just your right hand !

There is not a lot tp do or see in Jakarta but taking the local train was certainly an experience, their idea of air con is leaving the doors open while moving ! Well off to Kalimantan next.

 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.