Existing Member?

Mark_Murphy Meanderings

Barcelona

SPAIN | Wednesday, 24 August 2016 | Views [268]

Barcelona and we caught the shuttle bus from the Hotel to the city, only took about 12 minutes and we are in the centre of town. The Hotel is really nice and very quiet, away from all the hustle and bustle of the city, it costs 6 euro each way for the shuttle. We could take public transport from the airport but that would involve a shuttle to the airport and then a train and it would take us about an hour and a half to get there, and about the same cost.

We walk around the port area of Barcelona for a while, taking in the sights and we decide that we need to go to Park Guell where there is a museum about Gaudi and his works. I had reserved tickets on line for 3.30pm. We caught the train out to the suburb of Valcarca and then walk for about 30 minutes uphill in the heat to get there. Once we got there, they had no record of our reservation and would not allow us entry to the park. Not happy Jan! So Gerard told them their customer service was terrible and to jam their park where it fits, and we left. He actually did it with restraint and reasonably politely. We walked down the hill and caught a bus that took us all around the suburbs and gave us some great views of Barcelona.

Back in the city we got off the bus at the Main centre called De Gracia and checked out the fountain and the area around there. We then walked down towards the Port so we could catch the Teleferic, a gondola ride to the park on the side of the hill. We queued for about an hour and a half and finally had our return tickets and it was already 5.30pm. The last gondola was at 7.30pm, so by the time we queued some more and rode across, we got to queue again and ride back on the 7.30pm gondola. It was fantastic for seeing the Port and the sights of Barcelona.

We stopped on the way back for some beautiful paella, a seafood one and a meat one, which were great, probably the best we have had. We walked along the water’s edge past restaurants and stalls to catch the 10.30pm shuttle back to the hotel. We had really enjoyed our day.

 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.